Thread: Ubuntu One folder, what for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu One folder, what for?

I'm new to cloud computing. I just opened a free Ubuntu One account. I have a silly question: What is the purpose of the Ubuntu One folder? I have that folder plus a few others folders from my laptop on my cloud. Should I move those folders to the Ubuntu One folder?

Thanks for the answer.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu One folder, what for?

It shows the files that are located on the cloud drive.
    but not all. I just did async on a folder and it did not show up in the ubuntu one folder in my bookmarks.

A handy tool to install is ubuntu one indicator applet.
    Last edited by sdowney717; December 17th, 2012 at 12:29 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Think of it as a convenient drop point to sync a folder.
    But I rather selectively sync folders on my drive or I get duplicates wasting space.

Another concern is have a backup under your control for files you never want to loose. Since If you sync to ubuntu one and something happens, you can loose your files.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In short, cloud storage keeps your files online. In short cloud storage like Ubuntu One give you several features.
    1. All files and folders you keep in the ubuntu one folder will not be destroyed, even if you harddisk has been crashed or destroyed.
    2. You can access those files in the ubuntu one folder anywhere in the world, through the one.ubuntu.com dashboard.
    3. You can share your files and folders easily, who have ubuntu one account.

You just need to paste your desired (which you want to keep online) in the Ubuntu One folder. It'll automatically upload the files to Ubuntu One server.
    Last edited by uzumakifahim; December 17th, 2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: improvement

Beans
    Hidden!

In this world anything can happen.
    You could accidently delete your synced files, then ubuntu one will delete them from the cloud. You may empty your trash then they are gone. Ubuntu one server could explode, mad admin deletes files, then its synced back to your drive and deleted. A malicious code could do the same. Ubuntu one could go out of business, be shut down.

Your best bet is to have multiple backups, not synced for files you never want to loose, preferably stored elsewhere.

I sometimes email myself an attachment on web mail.
    I have a lot of pictures I dont want to loose and some programming code.

Beans

I deleted my files once by accident from my Ubuntu One folder. If that ever happens, you can go here:

https://one.ubuntu.com/help/contact/

I did, and they were able to restore all my files. Now I backup the important stuff on a non-synced folder

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Since I do a clean installation of the latest Ubuntu version every six months Ubuntu One makes it easy to move wallpaper, Conky, and many other files from one installation to another. I sync the folders I want continually updated.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

offgridguy is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Since I do a clean installation of the latest Ubuntu version every six months Ubuntu One makes it easy to move wallpaper, Conky, and many other files from one installation to another. I sync the folders I want continually updated.
    Could you expand on this for me please? Moving wallpaper is something i want to do but can't figure out how ?