Thread: Edubuntu 12.04 - Thin Client Set Up

Beans

Edubuntu 12.04 - Thin Client Set Up

Hi,

I have set up a classroom with 30 thin clients. I have about 150 users whose accounts have been created using Webmin for convenience.

Each of these users is a member of the student group, which was done so that a restricted specific menu is displayed when a student logs in. This works fine.

I wish to restrict each student to accessing their home folder only, as from what I can see they can access the entire file system should they wish to at present.

Could someone suggest the easiest way to achieve this, either by a change to each account or by virtue that they are all members of the students group.

Thanks

Dave

Beans

Re: Edubuntu 12.04 - Thin Client Set Up

heres a link should help about half way down
    https://help.ubuntu.com/8.04/serverg...anagement.html

Beans

Hi,

Many thanks for that.

I shall create a test user and utilise some of the information in the article to set up the limitations I think are needed.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Dave

Beans

Glad to help Dave let us know how it turns out.

Chad

Beans

Hi again and a Happy New Year to you all,

Following the comments made concerning my previous thread and further thoughts by me, I would appreciate your comments about the following :-

Firstly I have used menu and profile editor which allows me to control Applications to limit access to particular applications.
    I have done this on the basis of the student group of which all students are members.

In considering the student working environment I note that they have access via the Places menu to their Home Folders and sub folders which is really good. However they also have access to other folders such as Computer which gives them access to Drives and the File System. Oh dear !

Does anybody know how I can modify the places menu or remove items from it ?
    or..... is it a case of changing the permissions for particular folders which will automatically mean that those without the permissions cannot access them ?

I notice that their are additional drop down menus such as the envelope and the windscreen wiper amongst others which may very well need restricting. Are these dealt with the same way ?

Any thoughts.........?

Regards

Dave