Thread: How do I auto-run and skip Grub 1.99 menu after upgrade?

Beans

Question How do I auto-run and skip Grub 1.99 menu after upgrade?

This seems to be a strange problem, and I have searched high and low for answers. Since Ubuntu 10.04 I have been upgrading via LiveCD and had no problems, however after an upgrade to 11.04 I now have Grub 1.99 giving me a list of versions to chose from before the OS loads.

Now, call me fussy, but I don't want this, I just want to turn on my PC and go straight into Ubuntu as it always has done.

I have tried various fixes such as looking for old Kernals in Package Manager, but no old kernals show up! Same for Ubuntu-Tweak, nothing shows up when I click on clean kernals.

There has to be a soloution to this!!! Can someone please help me?

Thank you in advance.

Mark

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How do I auto-run and skip Grub 1.99 menu after upgrade?

you might think about the day you will get trouble with this setting without countdown timer from /etc/default/grub)

- broken kernel
    - recovery mode not easily available

well do it as you like

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    you might think about the day you will get trouble with this setting without countdown timer from /etc/default/grub)

- broken kernel
    - recovery mode not easily available

well do it as you like
    So you're saying it's better to have the option of recovery mode and other Kernals etc?

I have tried Startup Manager to give it a 3 second on-screen presense, but that does not work either, even if that worked I would be happy with that.

Mark

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

its my point of view and experience of course, but what a difference 3 seconds makes in your life by the way ?

Beans

Is there a way to disable the grub menu though??? I've tried everything I can find so far.

Mark

Beans

I've been trying to remove Grub from asking me which version all day, tried everything in my original post and nothing. Can anyone suggest any help please?

Mark

Beans

I'm using 11.04

I have this same problem and no one answered this thread. I'm setting Ubuntu up for clients and I DONT WANT THEM TO SEE THE GRUB MENU. I do care about the 3 seconds, but more importantly i don't want them screwing it up by clicking something. Furthermore, they don't have keyboards, they have tabletPCs with touchscreens, so we have to connect a keyboard just to click Enter to get past this damn menu.

How can i hide this grub menu? I too have tried the Startup-Manager. No effect. I used Terminal and changed the /etc/default/grub file parameters to GRUB_TIMEOUT=0 and GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0. I even added GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true to try and fix this nonsense.

How can we skip the grub menu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I'm using Ubuntu 11.10 and I'm also trying to find a solution for this. I haven't had luck so far but probably the solution is very easy. I also just want to avoid de grub menu and to see it only when I need it via keeping Shift pressed while restarting the computer.

Beans

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem. I had to edit "config.cfg" manually, it means change all entries with "timeout=-1" to "timeout=0".
    This is not safe procedure, but it works for me and it did not harm my system (Linux Mint 13 64bit).