Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: zfs.ko missing after update to 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: zfs.ko missing after update to 12.10

RealityMaster
    I understand your frustration, I have similar experiences. It is not really an issue of the software, as it is an issue of dependencies getting broken for some reason (??) - I don't know much about it. More info on the github of ubuntu-zfs...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

By the way, I solved it just now by doing an install of linux-headers-3.5.0.22-generic. See http://stephanvaningen.net/wiki/How_...dule_stack.%27 for more info

Beans

Happened again today with the upgrade to 3.5.0-23-generic

Fixed it with:
    Code:
    > sudo apt-get remove zfs-dkms
    > sudo apt-get install zfs-dkms ubuntu-zfs
    So it seems the modules aren't being rebuilt when the kernel is upgraded, there's probably a better way to do that but the above method seems to do the job! Cheers 8)

Beans

I just tried to remove and reinstall the zfs-dkms as per jameswyse's code above, but I still have the same issue.
    These are the module headers I have after a fresh install yesterday with all updates.
    3.5.0-17-generic
    3.5.0-23-generic

Should I use synaptic and rollback to 3.5.0-22-generic from stephanvaningen's suggestion?
    Last edited by ConstantK; February 4th, 2013 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Miss type

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

See Ubuntu daily PPA packaging issue: SPL version bump w/o corresponding ZFS version bump breaks dkms build:
    The daily PPA isn't completely sync'd for the 0.6.0-rc14 release. If you need something right now, then you get can get it from the staging area.

This should be resolved before everybody gets home from the football game.
    Here's the Staging Area if you're feeling adventurous, but it'll probably be easiest to just wait it out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by RealityMaster View Post
    Great balls of FIRE!!!!

This is the third update to cause this problem!!! RAWWRRR!!

Is no one testing the zfs package before updates are pushed?
    I'll assume not as it's not officially supported, but this is getting $^(k!n& annoying.

Curse, yell, swear, rant, rave, relax, post...
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswyse View Post
    Update: I've added the daily PPA and upgraded which seems to have solved the problem. *Though I don't feel too comfortable using the unstable branch on my production filesystem, so still looking for solutions on this! I guess if it comes to it I'll just wait for stable to be updated again and switch back.
    LOL. As I've been involved with dev versions for years... Being on a dev version, you are the tester.

Just a suggestion- (Common sense)
    Problems with a dev version and it's packages, to include dailies should be discussed in the Ubuntu +1 section so that they know there are problems, can be discussed and can be addressed.On PP's there's an area to report problems with a PPA.

Even until a day preceding the code lock, there are still many areas were they focus on things needed to be tested... and then, during the code lock, all those approved, tested pieces come back together into the release snapshot. If you go to dailies, expect things to not be stable from day-to-day.

As a tester of a dev versions, we are also responsible for generating launchpad bug reports from problems that arise. Things are going to work one day, then maybe not the next. I just expect "that" as part of the process.

We also work together to find our own workarounds and fixes. Although fun, adventurous and sometimes somewhat frustrating... there is always a notice posted in that section each dev cylce saying that the dev versions are intended for testing and they are not intended for a production system nor production data. Doing that, once one is warned, then it is at your own risk.

Are PPA's really considered as "stable?" My past experience is that they are test areas or areas for things that are not yet formal packages. Usually on their way to being moved to approved stable... One thing I know is that if you have added PPA's, before you upgrade to another release, purge the ppa, upgrade the release, re-add the PPA. This is a pain if you have many PPA's.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; February 4th, 2013 at 02:52 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

I don't want to offend anyone that's working on the ZFS PPA, but is it worth going back to FUSE and waiting for the stability of the PPA to improve before coming back?

Beans

How about rolling back to the last stable? Does anyone know how I would do that? (sorry, I'm a n00b to ZFS)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ppa/fuse/ ... yes anyway:

I did it this way this time, similar to jameswyse, but additionally the step I did earlier too:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove linux-headers-`uname -r` zfs-dkms ubuntu-zfs
    Then did a (without in-between reboot, because otherwise the uname will give different result):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
    and then:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install zfs-dkms ubuntu-zfs
    Then I see rebuilds of modules & a reboot now results in availability of your ZFS pools again...
    Last edited by stephanvaningen; February 4th, 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Beans

It seems like every time I reboot my server, my zfs pool disappears. I am only configured to automatically apply security updates, which I guess includes kernel updates. As one would expect, that breaks the zfs modules.

Is there any way to make sure the zfs binaries/modules stay on top of those changes without any intervention? A power outage for example would just kill my server until I manually intervene, which sort of defeats the high availability aspect of zfs. I'm not sure whether to consider this a ZoL problem or an Ubuntu problem.

This isn't a production environment by the way, it's just a hobby setup I have which has some miscellaneous junk stored on a 4 disk array. I'm hoping to one day apply what I'm learning here to a professional level as I am just about to graduate as a network engineer with some datacenter experience.
    Last edited by Rakeesh; April 25th, 2013 at 10:33 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast