Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installed Ubuntu to seperate hard drive, now windows 7 wont boot.

Beans

Exclamation Installed Ubuntu to seperate hard drive, now windows 7 wont boot.

Hello! I'm new to these forums and very new to Ubuntu.
    Ive been using windows 7 for the longest time and recently got a new hard drive. I decided to try out Ubuntu and install it to a 10gb partition on the new, empty hard drive.

The problem is, that grub cant seem to find the windows 7 boot even though it recognizes that its there. Ive tried the boot repair tool.

Results: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1440936/

Ive had this ubuntu CD lying around for about a year and I didn't want to re download the installer for ubuntu 12. So, I ended up installing 10.04 LTS.
    ok, pop in the disk and since I didn't want to wipe windows 7 off of my first hard drive, and i only wanted to install Ubuntu to a small 10gb partition, I selected the advanced options. I created a partition for the system files and the swap. Ok. Ubuntu installed fine, boots up.. yay! You may want to know that the video drivers didnt work with my nvidia graphics card until i got the drivers.

Ok, so, ubuntu is working fine. yay! ok. I decided that I was done messing with ubuntu for now and wanted to go back to windows 7. Probelm is, i get this error.

Error: no such device: se1055bb10559abb,
    error: no such partition.
    Press any key to continue.

Im not very farmiliar with ubuntu. Ive looked up and down the internet for my problem, but i cant find any answer. Id be happy to answer any questions anybody has.

Thanks guys!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Installed Ubuntu to seperate hard drive, now windows 7 wont boot.

the problem is with the partitioning of your second hdd, it is a gpt partition. so you may have to repartition the drive and reinstall ubuntu.
    Make money by writing !
    You only live once, do what you like most !

Beans

the problem is with the partitioning of your second hdd, it is a gpt partition. so you may have to repartition the drive and reinstall ubuntu

First of all: Thanks for the quick response!
    Second of all: Thanks for understanding what the heck is going on!

So, do you think I should just download the newest Ubuntu and reinstall it from a CD?

And what does GPD partition mean anyways?
    Last edited by Toobatee; December 15th, 2012 at 04:33 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

it is type of partition table , i'm not an expert on the subject but i know by my experience that what is going to work.

now you should better download latest iso 12.04 lts for stability and 12.10 if you want the latest software. create a dvd and boot in to it. select 'try ubuntu' and enter 'gpart in the dash, select the application shown below.

in gparted , you have to repartition your drive . (backup, if you have imp data) delete all the partitions on the drive, make sure it is the new drive. create a 50-100gb primary ext4 partition and a fat32/ntfs partition for the rest of space. reboot with dvd and select install ubuntu. select 'something else' in the installer. now select the required ext4 partition for ubuntu and set the mount point as root. select the windows drive for bootloader installation. now proceed with installation.

done.
    Make money by writing !
    You only live once, do what you like most !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I converted to gpt partitioning with 10.10 on a 160GB drive and had Windows XP on the other drive. Back then you had to add a parameter to get chain loading from gpt to mbr to work.
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...ems:GTP_MS_DOS
    Alternative fix:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1545165

With the new versions there is no issues as it sees both MBR & gpt and add the extra parameters automatically..
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Ok! I got it to work! Thanks guys!

I tried downloading the ISO for ubuntu 12.04 LTS overnight ( my internet is not very good) And i think it failed somehow because the file is only 300 or so MB when it should be around 600. So, i tried burning onto the disk, then booting from it anyways. It didnt boot so i tried doing what oldfred said. And it worked! yay!

So now my question would be, should I redownload 12.04, or just update linux from the update manager?

Thanks a million guys!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

It is up to you. The new version has lots of changes, should work better with newer hardware. Unity is one of the biggest changes.
    Best to download and test in live mode. I prefer USB flash drives now as install or live mode is a bit faster and it is reusable.

10.04 Desktop expires April 2013.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Alright. Ill update via reinstalling.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi
    Please use the thread tools to mark it [SOLVED]

Beans

If I can just figuratively "stick my oar in" here, if I have new installations/re-installations of Windows etc. when I've already got an Ubuntu partition and the boot loader, she goes AWOL her, I use Boot Repair utility- burnt to a CD ROM, runs 'live', works like magic every time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast