Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does mate desktop enviroment cut it? What's its future?

Beans

Does mate desktop enviroment cut it? What's its future?

Before i start this off, this is NOT a hate thread for any desktop environment. To the mods, i know that there have been many discussions about various DE's recently but i'd hope this is different.

With all the hate for various DE's, why are people still criticising the move away from Gnome 2 when there is Mate? Is there something wrong with it? Does it not live up to gnome 2? I'm just curious as to what people who complain about unity and gnome shell are using if they are giving out so much about them.

I really enjoy all DE's. I actually find it hard to fault any, if you realise what they are aimed towards. I think they all have something great to offer.

So my main question really is, if people are giving out about the new DE's, what are they using and if they aren't cutting it, why are they still criticising the newer ones?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Does mate desktop enviroment cut it? What's its future?

I have no idea tbh,Unity is pretty nice IMO, and for the people that really hate it.... XFCE is a really nice alternative these days...

Beans

a DE is subjective, there is no good or bad or right or wrong, only peoples opinion and everyone has got one

for me KDE all the way if hardware is good
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    I have no idea tbh,Unity is pretty nice IMO, and for the people that really hate it.... XFCE is a really nice alternative these days...
    Unity, XFCE, and Mate work well with Compiz. If you want your visual effects those are the main two to go with.

LXDE and KDE "can" work with Compiz. You might have to fight with it in order to get it to work.

Gnome 3 Shell and Cinnamon... I've heard stories, but they seem like campfire ghost stories to me.

Other than the Compiz issue, there are many other "interface" styles that each one differs on. At this point, it comes down to preference.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been using MATE for about six months or so, and I'm starting to notice "cracks" (for the lack of a better word) in the shell. This may just actually be a problem with Linux Mint (and its Ubuntu base) itself, but when I updated to 14, most of my indicators were gone because the packages had been removed from the Ubuntu repositories. I would imagine that if MATE wants to maintain a GNOME 2-like appearance, they'd grab these packages and maintain them themselves.

Also, I was kind of hoping there'd be some actual development with Caja. Back in the old GNOME 2 days, I used Nautilus-Elementary, because it had a much nicer interface and some additional features I liked. Caja doesn't really seem to offer much beyond the classic Nautilus experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I've installed Linux Mint14 on two older desktop machines. It runs pretty well. One thing to get used to is that the names of all of the common packages have changed to avoid packaging conflicts.

For a file manager, you would fire up Nautilus, but in Mate it is called caja.

There are sound technical reasons for changing the names and over time mate and gnome3 will drift apart, but that is OK. Mate runs well and it has an active development community. Think of it as a classic car with new parts and a bunch of gearheads tinkering with it.

If you want that shiny, plastic, econobox, then go with Unity--now with ecoboost. If you prefer the classic lines and the power of the older cars, then go with Mate.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mate is being improved and is not simply a re-branding of Gnome 2 as far as I understood . This is wonderful for those who would like a Gnome 2 style environment. I have also read that Mate is based on pure Gnome 2 and so it is slightly different than the Ubuntu desktop version of Gnome 2.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; December 15th, 2012 at 02:51 AM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The future? Speaking from complete ignorance, I would say that the future of things like Linux Mate will depend on the ability of the developers to continue to maintain the libraries and to develop or move forward the desktop top.

The one thing I do know about many Linux users is that they like to moan, complain and demand that Linux works just the way that they want it to but someone else has to do the work to make it so.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    <snip>

The one thing I do know about many Linux users is that they like to moan, complain and demand that Linux works just the way that they want it to but someone else has to do the work to make it so.

Regards.
    That is true of so much more than Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Several characters from Atlas Shrugged come to mind ...
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast