Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ati 9550 shows up as laptop in displays after update to 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ati 9550 shows up as laptop in displays after update to 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_H0987 View Post
    I think you should stay with the open source driver and read up on things to get your system configed right and get your system working well before even thinking of the ATI/AMD drivers. I'm pretty cranky about systems that are click wait, click wait, that just bugs the hell out of me and I would not ever say a machine that was running that way was working fine. I know people who can use a machine like that, but I would be pulling my hair out or tossing the machine out the window if I had to use a box that way.
    to keep opensource drivers to latest version you can use xorg edgers PPA.

and then there is using swap partition, Ubuntu's install doesn't create one by default.
    It created one for me: ram x 2

... It ends up that "some people have good luck with the native driver and others need to get the right ATI/AMD driver for their system to work well". From what I read It seems to be differences in the model of video card, differences in memory on the card, and other system options, from chip sets, to other cards, to on board devices, to system ram, etc. that determines which driver will work best for you.
    yes, it works well on supported cards. you card's support (as well as mine) got dropped by ATI.

The 12.04 seems to use the same install program as 11.04, 11.10, I really think it needs to be fixed. The Ubuntu installers partition app defaults to setting up a 1 gig partition and no swap and leaves most of the drive unpartitioned. [etc]
    i never had the installer issues you are talking about. are you sure you have a good image download (md5sum checks out)?

i did have once ATI 9600 XT recognised as ATI mobility radeon. however one of the updates seems to have fixed that. if oyu hav/see an issue bug report it on launchpad. it cant'/wont' get solved unless someone that is "crushing bugs" doesn't know about it.
    Last edited by mastablasta; December 19th, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    ...snip...
    i never had the installer issues you are talking about. are you sure you have a good image download (md5sum checks out)?
    Since its two different versions of Ubuntu 11.04 and 12.04 and two different CDROM's I have burned, and both do exactly the same thing. It doesn't make sense that it is a bad ISO download and I'm sure its not two bad ISO downloads. I'll bet the odds against two bad downloads of two different ISO's of two different versions of Ubuntu producing the same effects is billions to one.

It maybe a difference in where the download was from, I got mine direct from Ubuntu.com and used the 32bit desktop version. There are several versions on Ubuntu's download page. Or it simply mite be you use the partitioning app and create your own partition scheme and don't even think of it, I know I do this on windows, I've had people go "hey what are you doing there"' while I was setting up a new windows system. I started back in the day and just do things, but what I do is far from what the average windows user does. And what you mite do on installing Ubuntu mite be something far different than I did as a new user just clicking the defaults. It may also be something to do with the system, the amount of ram, or config, or .... as to why the partition app does different things.

Others have mentioned the problem with the installer creating the 1gig partition (I'm sure the developers of Ubuntu know about it as its an old problem.), one of those posts is where I got the information on putting in a swap partition.

It could be something to do with a raw drive versus a used windows drive that makes the difference in the partition app. When I select the option that pops up "use the whole drive and delete everything." the partition app should at least make one big partition that is the full size of the drive not a one gig partition. If there was more infomation in the partition app it wouldn't matter if there was something it finds on some systems that causes the one gig partition to be created, as people would know up front to use the "something different" option and create a partition scheme that works. Anyway I just ran the 12.04 at defaults to see if it was still the same and the partition app produces the 1gig partition by default. I know to do things different now but people should not have to read up on how to configure a partitioning app that is part of a modern install installation.

According to things I have read the video the 9550 is fully supported in Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10. In 12.04 its only supported on the open source driver. And on 12.10 it is not supported at all. There are other versions of Ubuntu 12.10 like Lubuntu and Edubuntu that still support the 9550. And while it is not supported, it is possible to use an old ATI/AMD driver in 12.10 there are a few different posts around on the web that tell how to do it.

I'm gona look for a little newer video card, but not for a month or two as prices are way up for Christmas as always. The 9550 was a lower end video card and out of date when new, so its showing its age.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

According to things I have read the video the 9550 is fully supported in Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10. In 12.04 its only supported on the open source driver. And on 12.10 it is not supported at all. There are other versions of Ubuntu 12.10 like Lubuntu and Edubuntu that still support the 9550. And while it is not supported, it is possible to use an old ATI/AMD driver in 12.10 there are a few different posts around on the web that tell how to do it.
    you read wrong. it's support was dropped after 9.10. opensoruce driver is still supporting it.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

According to things I have read the video the 9550 is fully supported in Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10. In 12.04 its only supported on the open source driver. And on 12.10 it is not supported at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    you read wrong. it's support was dropped after 9.10. opensoruce driver is still supporting it.
    Yes, my 9550 worked in Ubuntu 12.10 with the native driver, albeit in 2D.

Looks like we've been working in parallel, reading the same resources! Difference is, you started with earlier Ubuntus and are trying to work your way forward; I started with 12.10 and am working my way backward. As I said, 12.10 was fine for 2D. I switched to Lubuntu for the 12.04, and am having problems that may be video related, which would surprise me unless Lubuntu contains fewer native drivers (which I doubt). But I'm actually more eager to try 11.10 anyway, based on your experience.

Overall it looks like getting good 3D from a recent Ubuntu distro with a 9550 is a daunting task. I'd also like to try the ATI driver, but it appears it only works with x.org 7.4 at the latest. As far as I can determine, that means Ubunto no newer than 9.04 (I could be off a bit; I notice mastablasta says 9.10 and he likely knows better than I do). I'm wondering about the downsides of running so old a version.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12