Thread: Ati 9550 shows up as laptop in displays after update to 12.04

Hybrid View

Beans

Ati 9550 shows up as laptop in displays after update to 12.04

My guess is this is on here somewhere but I have searched and even tried looking at bunch of other similar video problems and couldn't find a way that works.
    My ATI 9550 shows up as laptop in displays after update to Ubuntu 12.04, how do I fix this?

I can't run 3d mode and Displays shows laptop and all the settings but one won't work on my monitor.

I found the following command on another post "sudo lshw -c video". I get this when I run that command it shows,

" *-display:0 UNCLAIMED
    description: VGA compatible controller product: RV350 AS [Radeon 9550] vendor: Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics) physical id: 0 bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 66MHz capabilities: agp agp-3.0 pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list configuration: latency=32 mingnt=8 resources: memory:c0000000-cfffffff ioport:c000(size=256) memory:e5000000-e500ffff memory:e4000000-e401ffff *-display:1 UNCLAIMED description: Display controller product: RV350 AS [Radeon 9550] (Secondary) vendor: Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics) physical id: 0.1 bus info: pci@0000:01:00.1 version: 00 width: 32 bits clock: 66MHz capabilities: pm cap_list configuration: latency=32 mingnt=8 resources: memory:d0000000-dfffffff memory:e5010000-e501ffff"

This way more info than the command showed in he other post and as far as I can tell right.
    This doesn't look to me like a laptop video would list?
    I also see this command "xrandr" it shows this,

"xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 1280 x 1024 default connected 1280x1024+0+0 0mm x 0mm 1280x1024 0.0* 1024x768 0.0
    800x600 0.0
    640x480 0.0 "

This is what basically shows in displays for resolutions but only the 1280x1024 works the others produce tearing in the video.
    I have tried ATI/AMD drivers the new one won't load and older ones won't work. I found out the newer driver no longer supports the 9550.

Beans

Re: Ati 9550 shows up as laptop in displays after update to 12.04

Sorry, but that's a very old video chipset and AMD dropped Linux driver support for it years ago.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Sorry, but that's a very old video chipset and AMD dropped Linux driver support for it years ago.
    Yea I found that out, I think that's why the 12.04 got messed up, I had tried to load ATI/AMD drivers on the older Ubuntu I updated, but they never worked, I think when I updated it tried to use the ATI driver.

I have found out I will have to get a new video card before I can do a 12.10 upgrade.

I would have stayed with 11.10 but I found I had to update to use some video editing software I wanted to run.

The Open source driver is said to work fine on the 9550 in 12.04, I just need to find out how to get the open source driver loaded on this critter.

I have tried a few terminal commands that were supposed to work but it would seem there is a change in 12.04 over 11.10 and as far as I can tell I need a different set of commands.

OH by the way my 9550 is the ultra version, I haven't seen any info to show they are different as far as the open source driver for 12.04 though.

I'll keep looking, thanks for the reply.

Beans

I finally crashed Ubuntu, it would launch, come up then flash, come up again and finally shut down. So I got ticked, down loaded 12.04 ISO, burned a CD and am now in the process of reloading from scratch. It will probably take me most of the next year to download stuff and get it back the way I had it. OH well!

Next I'm gona have to figure out how to program, as this is BS, a bunch of old command line utilities that don't seem to be documented completely anywhere to configure a modern GUI operating system. ROTFLMFAO!

I only found like a dozen different ways that were to get back to open source drivers, none of them worked, and the last one I found after spending hours on Google that was listed for Ubuntu 12.04 makes the system unusable.

Its good the system was just for playing movies and such, as I don't think I would be reinstalling Ubuntu if I had lost something important.

If I had money I'd probably get a new computer and forget about the Linux idea but I'm poor and don't figure I'll be getting rich anytime soon. With my luck I'll win the lottery the day after I die.
    Last edited by D_E_H0987; December 17th, 2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_H0987 View Post
    I
    I only found like a dozen different ways that were to get back to open source drivers, none of them worked, and the last one I found after spending hours on Google that was listed for Ubuntu 12.04 makes the system unusable.
    did you follow the one on ubuntu help pages?
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Of course I cannot find it now, but a day or two ago I read in another forum that AMD/ATI had recently removed the 9550 from active driver support and now supports the card only through the legacy driver set. It went on to say that the core in Ubuntu 12.10 doesn't support the legacy drivers, so you have to stay with 12.04 if you want to run propietary driver. There was also some mention of using an OpenGL driver as an alternative, I think. I will continue to try to find the thread.

My own experience with the 9550, for what it's worth (I'm a Linux noob), was to start with 12.10. My display was identified as a laptop. Because I want to use full 3D drivers, and because it's not just my video card that is low-spec, I tried dropping back to 12.04, on Lubuntu. The installation is hanging, and shows signs of being a video issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_H0987 View Post

Next I'm gona have to figure out how to program, as this is BS, a bunch of old command line utilities that don't seem to be documented completely anywhere to configure a modern GUI operating system. ROTFLMFAO!

An open source Radeon driver should be used by default - no need to program or get back ... The last proprietary driver release for Radeon 9550 was in March 2009. That's almost four years ago, so, obviously, it won't work on any of the supported Ubuntu releases. Trying to install it is asking for trouble.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    The last proprietary driver release for Radeon 9550 was in March 2009. That's almost four years ago, so, obviously, it won't work on any of the supported Ubuntu releases. Trying to install it is asking for trouble.
    I had just finished reading that same page when I saw your post, and was afraid of that...sigh.

@ D_E_H0987: I'm unclear what driver you were using successfully with 11.10. The native 11.10 driver? How did it work?