Thread: Thank you LXDE/Lubuntu/Gnome Fallback/Canonical

Beans

Thank you LXDE/Lubuntu/Gnome Fallback/Canonical

I recently upgraded some computers to Oneiric (yes, I dithered because I wanted to keep Gnome 2). I have to say, the new stuff is terrific. It's not Gnome 2, but it's darned nice, and it even has some nice features of its own. So just wanted to extend my thanks to the people that made it possible. (Please, refrain from criticizing in this thread.)

LXDE/Lubuntu
    ...is really is easy on resources, and runs better than the others on low resources. With a few minutes of work it's pretty close to Gnome 2, and it is cosmetically nice without adding anything. Now you can even change the desktop background.

Mine only uses around 150 MB after booting (about 50 MB less than other desktops). It even runs well during intensive disk swapping. After an update, my test Lubuntu/Gnome Fallback installation was using most of the swap partition for some sort of system initialization. And yet the desktop remained as fast and responsive as ever, and applications still started fairly quickly. An amazing performance.

Gnome Fallback
    My old test computer won't even run Unity or Gnome 3, but Gnome Fallback and Lubuntu both work well, and they (mostly) saved my structured main menu. The new theme Fallback installed for me by default is gorgeous on my newer computer. Some Gnome Panel things are a little broken on my low-resources computer, but it's beautiful with 1 GB. This desktop allowed me to keep my Ubuntu.

Canonical
    ...has made the whole thing possible. They have taken a lot of criticism (from me too) because of Gnome 3 and Unity, but they also supported the other desktops. They have spent a lot of money making things work. So thanks, Canonical!
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; December 14th, 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Smile Re: Thank you LXDE/Lubuntu/Gnome Fallback/Canonical

Classic Gnome user here..And yup,that's why I love Linux..Your machine,your choice.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Thank you LXDE/Lubuntu/Gnome Fallback/Canonical

I think xfce deserves some praise too. The improvements that 4.8 delivered came at exactly the right time for those of us disenchanted with Gnome 3 and Unity.

Yet, to be honest, Gnome 3 is promising in some respects. I run it on my atom-based htpc even though it is a bit sluggish because it easily scales to larger screens and it has rectified all the naggy video tearing problems that seemed to plague Gnome 2.

The modular nature of linux is indeed great because you can tailor your desktop experience to your needs.