Thread: Lost Muon Package Manager after update

Beans

[SOLVED] Lost Muon Package Manager after update

Hi there,

My system is Kubuntu 12.04 Precise running on a dual-boot MacBook 3,1. Today after following instruction from <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1889034> regarding additional software sources. I added "ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa" and "ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports" to the software sources in Muon Package Manager and then update.

Once the installation was complete I reboot the system just to make sure. Well, my KDE is now version 4.9.4 and I have a few more applications added to the system. The problem is: when I tried to launch Muon Package Manager to check the update history, the application was nowhere to be found, neither was Muon Software Center - its GUI counterpart. I believe the Update Manager was gone as well.

So what was happening? I'm now left with no means to check the update history or update. While I can search and find a way to use terminal app, I feel much more comfortable doing it with the Muon Package Manager. My question: Can I reinstall the Muon Package Manager? If so, how? Is there a way to extract it from the live CD which I used to install Kubuntu?

And how do I remove the 2 newly added sources ["ppa:kubuntu-ppa/ppa" and "ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports"] from my system's software sources? Thank you for any help. I must confess this is rather unnerving to have your software removed without explicit permission.
    Last edited by sumethc; December 15th, 2012 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Problem solved

Beans

Re: Lost Muon Package Manager after update

Yes you can re install muon.
    I actually had this happen to me when upping to KDE 4.9 on 12.04 and probably is related to upping the KDE libraries.
    just open up a terminal and input this:

sudo apt-get install muon
    Its a terminal command I know but its easy enough to copy and paste.

Beans

[SOLVED] Re: Lost Muon Package Manager after update

Wow, MadmanRB,

You have saved me half a day of reinstallating the whole thing from LiveCD. Follow your instruction and I got the following output:

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    plasma-active-data share-like-connect libqtwebkit-qmlwebkitplugin
    plasma-active-mobilecomponents share-like-connect-data
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    libmuonprivate1 muon-notifier muon-updater software-properties-kde
    update-manager-kde
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libmuonprivate1 muon muon-notifier muon-updater
    software-properties-kde update-manager-kde
    0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 265 kB/293 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 1,528 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    I can't thank you enough for your quick response, without which I would have to go the reinstall route which is far from being pleasant. Really appreciate it.

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Re: Lost Muon Package Manager after update

Pls forgive the typo: reinstallating. I was trying to change from "reinstalation" to "reinstalling" and didn't realize it at the time.