Thread: EliteBook 8470w can't find Ubuntu

Beans

EliteBook 8470w can't find Ubuntu

Hello!

I have recently got a brand new HP EliteBook Mobile Workstation 8470w for work. It came with Windows 7 preloaded, but my plan was to format the HD and install Ubuntu 12.04 in its place and then reinstall Windows 7 inside VirtualBox. (Since I will only need Windows for very few things.)

However, I seemed to have managed to mess a few things up. The 8470w comes with two hard drives. One 750 GB HDD and one 24 GB SSD. At first I couldn't find sda, that is the HDD, but only sdb. Before I followed the advice of this thread, I formatted sdb to ext4 instead of ntsf as it previously was. I guess that this might have been a mistake since I take that that partition was probably where the MBR was. (Or am I mistaken?)

Anyhow, after running the
    Code:
    sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sda
    I could install Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit on sda. I got no error messages during installation.

Once installation was done, I rebooted the computer but got an error message stating:

BootDevice Not Found
    Please install an operating system on your hard disk.
    Hard Disk - (3F0)
    F2 System Diagnostics
    Fore more infiormation, please visit: www.hp.com\go\techcenter\startup
    This confuses me as I did partition sda into the following:
    primary ext2: /boot
    logical ext4: /swap
    logical ext4: /
    logical ext4: /home

Any ideas on how to get this to work? Thank you in advance. I have no data on the computer yet since it is brand new, so I have no problems with doing a clean install if needed. I just don't know how to resolve this issue.

With regards
    /Slug

Beans

Re: EliteBook 8470w can't find Ubuntu

UPDATE
    I reinstalled Ubuntu, this time placing / and /boot on the SSD and /home and /swap on the HDD. I got an error stating that
    "An error occurred while restoring previously-installed applications. The installation will continue, but you may have to manually reinstall some applications after the computer reboots."
    I rebooted and got the same error as previously. I tried using Boot-Repair and it gave me an URL to remember, which is as follows: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1436537/

Now when I reboot I am instead faced by the following error message:
    error: no such device: d1878ebe-1951-4f5a-818a-319265de1c88
    grub rescue>
    As you might notice, I really don't know what I am doing! I would really appretiate help.

/Slug