This is such a nice piece of hardware. It's more portable, it works better and is just as elegent as my previous Dell, the Adamo. Having the support of the multi-touch trackpad is amazing, and ironically it works better any any of my prior laptops than in Windows even. I also have the Sony Vaio Z2 and couldn't bring myself to put Ubuntu on that with the external video card and Thunderbolt, it's faster and lighter than the XPS 13, but when it was new and configured less impressively it was also $1000 more, and multi-touch doesn't even work as well.

What's also surprising about the XPS 13 is that it's by far the best sound I've ever had coming out of a Linux laptop, even louder and more clear than my Inspiron 8500 monster from back in the twentieth. Stuff that's often a challenge or takes some effort to look up and configure all *just works* on the XPS, headphones plug in and the speakers mute, wifi, already brilliant, brightness controls, everything is just solid out of the box. I'm sorry to say the only thing I haven't tried yet is plugging anything into the mini displayport, but since that worked right out of the box with my Adamo and an analog VGA dongle with Ubuntu like 3 years ago, I have every confidence that I can just plug it right in and go.

What I'll give to Dell over Sony, is they don't let marketing take over and mess up the look of the device. They did put Intel and Ubuntu stickers on the wrist rest under the arrow keys, but on the bottom side there are no service tag stickers visible, no serial numbers, no Windows stickers (obviously). I absolutely love the look of carbon fibre, so it's nice to have the base expose it, it's just too bad you couldn't get a carbon fiber lid option also, that would've really cut back on the weight, and also would help with the one suggestion I'd have. The weight of the screen when open is heavy enough that on an uneven surface, with the rear feet not quite all the way at the rear, well the notebook could tip over backwards. On a desk it's seriously not a problem but there's just that rare case where you'd wish the feet were behind the case screws on the bottom. The metal back on the screen does give an outstanding stiffness however, and it's better than my Sony, and it's ridiculously better than the Latitudes we'd get in the office from Dell. Our helpdesk guy was very disappointed in the flexibility of that screen, yikes.

Wifi strength looks like it might be a challenge, it's reporting pretty bad signal strength when the access point is only 1 wall away. If you're in locations where wifi is typically a challenge, then you'd really wish they did a carbon fibre lid. Realistically though, I'd pay a few dollars for a replacement lid, but I don't imagine Dell is going want users to take the screen apart for that option.

Overall, It's an absolutely outstanding Linux machine, and it's nice to see Dell giving Linux another shot. Even targeted towards developers, this would make a really nice power user machine, and if you're reading this forum and this post, thanks, and if it's within your means, definitely think about supporting Dell's Linux endeavors by picking one up.