Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Studio DVD non bootable

Beans

Ubuntu Studio DVD non bootable

Hi guys,

I downloaded the Ubuntu Studio 12.10 iso torrent and burnt it on DVD. My bios is setup to boot from Cd/DVD drive first. When PC is attempting to boot it reads the Ubuntu Studio dvd and then the screen just remains blank with a blinking cursor on the upper left corner. It remains there indefinitely until I switch off the pc.
    I tried to boot from different pc systems nothing happens. I tried the wubi.exe in windows wubi doesn't execute.

I attempted a usb install using a bootable usb drive with unetbootin that is not success as well. Instead it brings me to a command prompt initramfs.

I tried on every pc and laptop both dvd and usb they do the same thing as above.

Now I'm testing the usb from a pc with an ECS G31T-M7 REV 1.0 motherboard.

Someone please help, I couldn't have downloaded 2 gig of Ubuntu Studio data for nothing.

Thanks for helpinh in advance.

DJFTL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Ubuntu Studio DVD non bootable

Well, since you downloaded ISO via torrent it should be ok. You can check again its md5 sum, but that should be ok since it's downloaded via torrent.

If you have active linux check md5 sum on burned DVD, to eleminate burning issues.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jejeman View Post
    Well, since you downloaded ISO via torrent it should be ok. You can check again its md5 sum, but that should be ok since it's downloaded via torrent.

If you have active linux check md5 sum on burned DVD, to eleminate burning issues.
    Thanks for the reply, I have an active Linux but how do I check md5 sum? What are the necessary steps?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Mount DVD
    Open terminal
    Go to DVD folder
    Issue check command
    Code:
    md5sum -c md5sum.txt
    Check if I had written the name of the file correctly.

Beans

Thanks Jejeman,

I ran that command and terminal returned md5sum: md5sum.txt: no properly formatted MD5 checksum lines found. This is a real struggle.

Kind regards,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I don't have 12.10 ISO at the moment, but in all this years of using Ubuntu Studio never had that message about md5sum.txt.
    I guess, burn it again, but since USB is also not working, then maybe its corrupted ISO. Check the sum for ISO.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have a similar problem, unable to boot Ubtuntu Sutdio on an old BIOS.

The DVD wont boot at all, just looks for boot record and eventually gives up and goes to next boot device.

Tried making bootable USB with UNetbootin but that wont load either.

DVD does boot on other computers.
    Other Bootable CDs do work, so it might just be the DVD player on this machine is a bit faulty but that doesn't explain why I can't make a bootable USB with UnetBootIn.

I have other USB bootable sticks which work on my problematic machine, just not sure how to make a Bootable Ubuntu Studio disk. It just gets stuck after selecting an option from the list. No language selector pops up either because UnetBootin ignores that stuff, so maybe Ubuntu Studio expects some parameters and just wont work.
    Last edited by terrox; December 19th, 2012 at 07:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by terrox View Post
    I have a similar problem, unable to boot Ubtuntu Sutdio on an old BIOS.

The DVD wont boot at all, just looks for boot record and eventually gives up and goes to next boot device.

Tried making bootable USB with UNetbootin but that wont load either.

DVD does boot on other computers.
    Other Bootable CDs do work, so it might just be the DVD player on this machine is a bit faulty but that doesn't explain why I can't make a bootable USB with UnetBootIn.

I have other USB bootable sticks which work on my problematic machine, just not sure how to make a Bootable Ubuntu Studio disk. It just gets stuck after selecting an option from the list. No language selector pops up either because UnetBootin ignores that stuff, so maybe Ubuntu Studio expects some parameters and just wont work.
    Terrox, I think Jejeman is correct to say this ISO might be corrupt. I tested even the wubi.exe on all different windows OS, it does not execute anything. This is an ISO I downloaded via torrent. How did you download yours Terrox?

Beans

Mount the CD to the terminal.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I downloaded mine from Torrent, I was going to say I've booted it from a laptop but I'm not sure that I have - I did boot 12.04.1 from laptop.

I've created at least two coasters from rewritable DVDs trying to get this working. Yes - re-writable coasters!! I dunno how that happened but those discs will not read at all so I can't seem to format them on two different DVD burners.

I think I just created my third rewritable coaster. Trying to format the disc after making a failed burn, "Failed to Erase Disc! - Reason: Session Fixation Error"

I just want a CD-ROM sized version of Ubuntu Studio so I can install it. Don't need all the Browser/Email stuff.

OR I'd like to burn the .iso to a USB and have it boot without any errors, I can't seem to do it in UNetBootIn
    Last edited by terrox; December 26th, 2012 at 08:01 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast