Thread: Write buffer to a binary file? (C / C++)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Write buffer to a binary file? (C++)

Hello everyone,

I am working on one program that generates a lot of data...eventually it can be in GB range. And the way I am doing it now is just by writing to ascii file everything time... like this:
    Code:
    ofstream flowC("outputfile.out"); // declared at the start
    flowC << prevsid << ", " << threadid << endl; // inside working block
    //repeats many many times
    However, this is not very efficient. First because I am writing ascii and because I am writing to **** every single time.

To improve this.. I want to write 2nd line above to a buffer of size 2048 or bigger. And then when buffer gets full I would write it to a file and emptry it. So I would write file in chunks of 2048 or so.... I also want to avoid writing file in ascii, but instead generate a binary file.

Can someone help me how to make this work correctly? I found some examples of how to write to a buffer but I am not sure how to write it from there to binary file.
    Code:
    char buffer[2048];
    flowC.rdbuff()->pubsetbuf(buffer, 2048);
    flowC << prevsid << ", " << threadid << endl;
    I also eventually would like to compress the buffer before I write it to a file. I am not sure how this can be done yet in C or C++.
    Last edited by Kdar; December 13th, 2012 at 07:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Write buffer to a binary file? (C / C++)

Make up your mind, C or C++?
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Kdar View Post
    Can someone help me how to write it to buffer and then to binary file (not ascii) in C++ or C.
    I also eventually would like to compress the buffer before I write it to a file... I mean like pipe it to gzip or some other compressor from a buffer and then to a file. I am not sure how this can be done yet in C or C++
    What Bachstelze said. I'm assuming you're going with C++, as you've got some C++-specific code in there.

Binary files and ASCII files are the same thing. All files are binary, but text editors interpret binary as ASCII. If you want to view a file as binary, get a binary viewer/editor. I like bless.

Either write a compression algorithm for the data at hand (For instance, if there is going to be a lot of repetition in your code, you could simply output a number and then the data set...data has peculiarities of its own, work out what's best for yours), or you can actually gzip it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

well, sorry about that, C++.

But how can I make it save a bit of space? I was thinking if I write to some binary format (non-human readable) I could save space... and then I can have another program to decode and read that binary file.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Just gzip/bzip2/xz it, depending on your speed/space requirements.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Kdar View Post
    well, sorry about that, C++.

But how can I make it save a bit of space? I was thinking if I write to some binary format (non-human readable) I could save space... and then I can have another program to decode and read that binary file.
    Here's a clue:

Code:
    #include <fstream>

int main()
    {
       std::fstream binFile("outputfile.out", std::ios::out | std::ios::binary);

int value = 10;

binFile.write(reinterpret_cast<char*>(&value), sizeof(value));
    }