Thread: keylogging

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

keylogging

I've read in more than one place that recent versions of Ubuntu sends search information to Amazon (via keystrokes through the Unity Dashboard, or some such nonsense). My question is this: does this happen in any way with Xubuntu or Lubuntu. I'm sure the answer is no, but I just want some confirmation. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: keylogging

Hi - As far as I'm aware, the Amazon adds are specific to the Unity shell.

You can remove them from results:
    Click on the Ubuntu button, search for "Privacy" and then turn off "Include online results"
    You can also uninstall if you wish:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping
    Log off/on and you are good to go...

--
    Zu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is getting ridiculous, your keystrokes aren't logged, the same way a keylogger does, when you do a search in the dash with the shopping lens enabled, the query is first sent to Canonical's servers, where it is anonymized, then the query is sent on to Amazon. If this is considered key logging, then any search you do through Google or any other search engine should be considered key logging too.

Beans

What you enter into the "Dash" is sent to Canonical (the company that packages the Ubuntu operating system). Canonical sends it to Amazon. Amazon sends it back to Canonical, and Canonical sends it to you. It's important to understand that, because they're proxying this information, it's only Canonical who really sees your searches.

You can easily disable this by typing "privacy" and limiting searches to local.

None of the other *buntu's contain this code - it's specific to Unity. Nothign outside of the Dash is logged.
    sig

Beans

Ubuntu is free, right.. They need to make a profit somewhere to keep motivated, so I don't feel like this is an issue. They are sharing what people search for -- anonymously -- through a proxy as well. Nothing to be concerned about, but you can always disable it if you are paranoid.

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am with cariboo on this...

Sending your search terms, anonymized and encrypted, to an Ubuntu intermediate server... then sending cleansed terms to Amazon and returning results to your dash is not key logging.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jfloydb View Post
    My question is this: does this happen in any way with Xubuntu or Lubuntu. I'm sure the answer is no, but I just want some confirmation. Thanks.
    Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Xubuntu and Lubuntu do not include this feature, although you can install it if you wish.

This has been discussed at length already, we do not need another thread about it.

Closed.