Thread: Vb.net

Beans

Vb.net

Is there a way for me to run a Windows™ Visual Basic (VB.NET) program on Linux? Wineskin (for mac) and WINE (for Linux) both don't do this out of the box - is there some sort of hack or patch I can use?

Beans

Re: Vb.net

I recall that the .NET Framework does not ship with VB.NET application packages. So, VB.NET applications are not likely to work on Wine (e.g. without the .NET interpreter or "JIT compiler") unless you install the applicable .NET framework in Wine - which you can download from Microsoft's website.
    This is not saying that this approach will work but that without the .NET Framework installed, I don't see how uncompiled, interpreted applications made in VB7 and above will work with Wine.
    But I think that it's always worth rolling the dice to see if something like this might work...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

According the the WineHQ page below, all the recent versions of .NET have really poor ratings -- indicating that trying to run anything that depends on .NET is likely to fail:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=2586
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

The Best way to deal with this is to install winetricks and then run winetricks from a terminal and install dot.net from there (this would require you have to a Windows license)

Beans

I also noticed that there is also an extra package, called Mono, which takes care of some of the .NET functionality on Wine...