Thread: Get image from website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Get image from website

I edit a local parish magazine. A local organisation has asked me to publish an article, and to use the organisation's website's logo in the article.

Normally, when I need an image from a website, I right-click the image and select "Save Image As…" (see screen-shot).

Normal right-click menu.png

However, on this website, the right-click menu gives me no way to access the image (screen-shot below).

Unusual right-click menu.png

I have tried everything I can think of, including looking at the HTML and CSS code. I cannot figure out where the image comes from.

I've tried both Firefox and Chromium.

Is there a simple or straightforward way to get the image?

Notes:

• I have been given permission to access the image (no copyright violation).
    • Getting hold of the web developer in time for publication may be difficult, but I shall try.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

Re: Get image from website

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    I edit a local parish magazine. A local organisation has asked me to publish an article, and to use the organisation's website's logo in the article.

Normally, when I need an image from a website, I right-click the image and select "Save Image As…" (see screen-shot).

Normal right-click menu.png

However, on this website, the right-click menu gives me no way to access the image (screen-shot below).

Unusual right-click menu.png

I have tried everything I can think of, including looking at the HTML and CSS code. I cannot figure out where the image comes from.

I've tried both Firefox and Chromium.

Is there a simple or straightforward way to get the image?

Notes:

• I have been given permission to access the image (no copyright violation).
    • Getting hold of the web developer in time for publication may be difficult, but I shall try.
    What is the link ?

However try using copy link location, then paste that into address bar which should show only the image, then try saving that image ? or save link as and see if it it saves as an image

And are scripts blocked ?
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If the image is smaller than your screen just take a screenshot then crop the image as required.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for your replies.

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    What is the link ?
    It's for our local health centre.

However try using copy link location…
    The image is within a link to the main website, so I just get the website's URL.

And are scripts blocked ?
    I don't think so, but I have tried using the RightToClick add-on to no avail.

I tried an experiment. I saved the website to disk (Firefox > File > Save Page As > Web Page, complete). I disabled Internet access; cleared Chromium's cache; and loaded the website from the disk. The logo still appeared, yet I cannot find it anywhere in the folder where I downloaded it. I am so confused!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    If the image is smaller than your screen just take a screenshot then crop the image as required.
    I thought of that, but I need the image in the highest resolution for printing the magazine. But I shall do this if everything else fails.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    Thanks for your replies.

It's for our local health centre.

The image is within a link to the main website, so I just get the website's URL.

I don't think so, but I have tried using the RightToClick add-on to no avail.

I tried an experiment. I saved the website to disk (Firefox > File > Save Page As > Web Page, complete). I disabled Internet access; cleared Chromium's cache; and loaded the website from the disk. The logo still appeared, yet I cannot find it anywhere in the folder where I downloaded it. I am so confused!

I thought of that, but I need the image in the highest resolution for printing the magazine. But I shall do this if everything else fails.
    so which image is it you want ?

I can save them all ?

I presume you want this one ? http://imagebin.org/239191

or do you mean the hand in the upper corner which is part of the larger image ?
    Last edited by haqking; December 13th, 2012 at 05:05 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 17.04 Zesty Zapus

If you're talking about the "Kennington Health Centre" logo at the top of the page with the drop-shadow, that's not an image, it's normal text with some clever CSS for the shadow (if you want proof, select part of the words and copy into a text editor). If that's the logo you need then a screenshot is in order, as already suggested.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jim_deadlock View Post
    If you're talking about the "Kennington Health Centre" logo at the top of the page with the drop-shadow, that's not an image, it's normal text with some clever CSS for the shadow (if you want proof, select part of the words and copy into a text editor). If that's the logo you need then a screenshot is in order, as already suggested.
    That's the one! Well, that explains everything. I've wasted about an hour on this, LOL.

Oh well. Thank you for the reply. I shall do a screen-shot as you say, or try to duplicate the text in the magazine.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Beans

The coiled stethoscope saved normally; to get the stethoscope held in the hand use http://www.igpedit.co.uk/designs/1/img6.png.
    I'm assuming you're using Firefox. Just open it in safe mode. I think one of your extensions may be cause of the confusion.

Sorry! Saw what you just posted!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What confused me and made me think that it was an image, not text, was that if I "grab" the word, the entire area moves as if it were an image. Highlighting individual letters requires that I start from further to the left than usual.

See the screen-shot, where I am in the middle of moving what I thought of as an image.

Moving the image and text.jpg

Live and learn!

EDIT: How cool—the font family is Ubuntu!
    Last edited by Paddy Landau; December 13th, 2012 at 06:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you want to try and recreate the text (I'd use Inkscape) then it actually uses the 'Ubuntu' font. What a coincidence
    Last edited by Cheesemill; December 13th, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
    Cheesemill