Thread: USB/Mouse Issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question USB/Mouse Issue

So, I'm not really sure if this a hardware issue or what, but I'm having some problems with a wireless USB mouse that I have. I'm trying to use it with my Asus Zenbook UX31. When I plug the USB receiver directly into the left-hand USB port, it does not work, but it does work when I plug it into the right-hand USB port. Futhermore, when I plug a USB hub into the left-hand port, and then plug the USB receiver for the mouse into that, everything works fine. I know this is kind of a shot in the dark, but does anyone know what might be causing this problem or how I could fix it?

Beans

Re: USB/Mouse Issue

You could find a bunch of usb devices and test them all out in the left-hand USB port. That might tell you if it's hardware or not. If it's not hardware then maybe a not-quite-right driver for the mouse could cause this.

Don't know if the USB ports in your computer get different voltages- possibly check the specs for that. I think that might only be an issue on Apples, and even then they should all work for a mouse.

Honestly if it were me I would simply use the right-hand port for the mouse, but that's just me being lazy!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Have you tried booting with the USB mouse already plugged in to the left-hand port?

In my case (samsung chronos 7), the left-hand ports were USB 3.0 but only registered if something was plugged into them at boot. While the right-hand ports were regular USB and worked as normal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Usually something like this is caused by insufficient voltage coming through the bad usb port, it could be broken. Does your usb hub have its own power source? (is it plugged straight into a wall socket?) If it is then this is why the mouse works when plugged into the hub and voltage is almost certainly your issue
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the responses, all. I probably should have said that the mouse used to work in that port, then the functionality became less reliable and now it's stopped altogether.

To answer your questions: I do boot the computer with the mouse receiver plugged in to the left-hand port; and my USB hub does not plug into the wall, just the USB port.

Is it typically costly/worth it to try to get these type of things fixed?