Thread: Rapidly Expanding SYSLOG and KERN file

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Rapidly Expanding SYSLOG and KERN file

I recently replaced my desktop hard drive (500G) and upgraded to 12.04 in the process. All in all, about 1/3 of the HD was filled after installing 12.04 and restoring my files. It's been working great until a few days ago, when I noticed slower performance and desktop messages indicating that I had very little space left on the HD (<1G). I did some digging into the file directory this morning to find that my syslog and kern files were HUGE (syslog was ~285G, kern was ~100G), and growing. I decided to reboot and now can't get onto the admin login at all, it appears that these two files have been quietly growing and now have completely bogged everything. Any thoughts on what I can do, short of wiping the drive and starting over??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Rapidly Expanding SYSLOG and KERN file

if you are talking about the log files, then simply delete them, and install logrotate (it should be already installed on a genuine installation)

or do a fresh install to get rid of the oldish/borked settings files/folders.

Beans

If your system is generating logs of this size, you have a problem that needs investigating. I suggest rebooting into recovery mode, so the logs won't continue to fill, then using "tail -n1000 /var/log/syslog" to see the last 1,000 lines of that file.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, will give it a try tonight...

Beans
    Distro

The drive is fully consumed and Ubuntu will not boot. I was able to recover/backup files by booting on the install disk. Going to start back at square-one and do a fresh install this weekend with a new install disk...

Beans

You couldn't boot it in recovery mode either?

Beans
    Distro

Couldn't boot in recovery mode. Fresh install appears to be working fine, so far.