Thread: VPN for torrents

Beans

Question VPN for torrents

I am having some difficulty figuring out how to set up a VPN solely for use with a torrent. Is there a a good reference or step by step instructions doc out there? I would like to try and use OpenVPN.

Beans

Re: VPN for torrents

Quote Originally Posted by izombie666 View Post
    I am having some difficulty figuring out how to set up a VPN solely for use with a torrent. Is there a a good reference or step by step instructions doc out there? I would like to try and use OpenVPN.
    There is no difference over a VPN than usual as long as the VPN supports torrent traffic. If the provider supports torrent traffic then you can expect from a good one about 75-90% speed of download as without VPN

AirVPN is about the best IMO and i have used many.

They also accept payment in bitcoins.

EDIT: oh i just re-read, you mean use the VPN only for torrenting ? mmmm not sure you can, never needed to, I will think about it and post back. You can change the VPN settings but im not sure you could do it solely for torrent traffic, it will be a routing configuration of some kind

Peace
    Last edited by haqking; December 19th, 2012 at 04:15 PM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I imagine the easiest thing to do would be a secondary virtual IP, with the torrent client configured to use it; you could then direct traffic using that IP as a source - separating it from your normal traffic.

Beans

I think my wording was a bit off in the original post. I only want the VPN for sercurity purposed when using a bit torrent. I thought there may be a less complicated setup.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by izombie666 View Post
    I think my wording was a bit off in the original post. I only want the VPN for sercurity purposed when using a bit torrent. I thought there may be a less complicated setup.
    I understand what you mean , i torrent through a VPN but I dont seperate my other traffic, is there a reason you dont want your other traffic through the VPN ?

also as for security or privacy, even with a VPN it will only be as secure/private as the company providing the service, and whether they allow you to torrent and/or will forward details on.

I use AirVPN and they are great, others can be shady, and some will just sell you out if you do something you shouldnt ....ask SABU
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013