Thread: Undoing a recent update

Beans

Undoing a recent update

Earlier today (I think!) I OK'd a bundle of updates and now the "switcher", which previously allowed applications to be dragged to another workspace tab, is messed up. Previously the same desktop contents was reflected on each workspace. Now the others are devoid of anything.

How can I un-do a recent update? And if not, is there documentation associated with the release of general bundled updates that are done periodically? In other words, can I at least find out what was done to screw up my desktop so?
    Last edited by aandrews; December 13th, 2012 at 05:02 AM.

Beans

Re: Undoing a recent update

You can use synaptic package manager. If you look under "File" then "History" you'll see what you installed today. Then you could remove each update to see which resolves the problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    You can use synaptic package manager. If you look under "File" then "History" you'll see what you installed today. Then you could remove each update to see which resolves the problem.
    I believe Synaptic only keeps a history of packages installed thru synaptic, one of the good reasons to use it instead of cli or software-updater
    Quote Originally Posted by aandrews View Post
    Earlier today (I think!) I OK'd a bundle of updates and now the "switcher", which previously allowed applications to be dragged to another workspace tab, is messed up. Previously the same desktop contents was reflected on each workspace. Now the others are devoid of anything.

How can I un-do a recent update? And if not, is there documentation associated with the release of general bundled updates that are done periodically? In other words, can I at least find out what was done to screw up my desktop so?
    You may want to note what ubuntu release & what session you are using & solve your issue rather than try to backtrack updates
    (unless you used synaptic it can be a little bit of a chore to find - you could run this in a terminal & likely figure out based on date & time
    Code:
    cat /var/log/dpkg.log | grep 'status installed'

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I believe Synaptic only keeps a history of packages installed thru synaptic
    Aha- I didn't know that!

Beans

doesnt

Code:
    cat /var/log/apt/history.log
    store it also ? I dont have access to a apt based machine right now to check though
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    doesnt

Code:
    cat /var/log/apt/history.log
    store it also ? I dont have access to a apt based machine right now to check though
    It does indeed.