Thread: PortSentry and UFW

Beans

PortSentry and UFW

As you probably know, the firewall in Ubuntu is ufw. Now, I wanted to edit my PortSentry configuration file, so that if it is triggered, it passes a deny rule to ufw. The following is the text of the KILL_ROUTE command that PortSentry runs if it is triggered.

KILL_ROUTE="ufw deny from $TARGET"

Is that ok? Portsentry runs as root.

Beans

Re: PortSentry and UFW

Hello
    Actually UFW is the firewall interface for iptables which comes with Ubuntu
    heres a link for port sentry This gives more examples of how to use it properly. What is it that your trying to do?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chadk5utc View Post
    Hello
    Actually UFW is the firewall interface for iptables which comes with Ubuntu
    heres a link for port sentry
    This gives more examples of how to use it properly. What is it that your trying to do?
    PortSentry is port-scan detection daemon that, when it detects a port scan, blocks the scan, reverse DNS's the IP address of the scanning host, and then should pass a rule to the firewall. This command follows the exact same structure to pass a rule to your firewall on the command line, as here:

KILL_ROUTE= " insert rule to pass to firewall "

So the text in those quotes is the command as you would pass it on the command line. I have PortSentry up and running perfectly fine. I'm just curious what to put in those quotes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ACagliano View Post
    PortSentry is port-scan detection daemon that, when it detects a port scan, blocks the scan, reverse DNS's the IP address of the scanning host, and then should pass a rule to the firewall. This command follows the exact same structure to pass a rule to your firewall on the command line, as here:

KILL_ROUTE= " insert rule to pass to firewall "

So the text in those quotes is the command as you would pass it on the command line. I have PortSentry up and running perfectly fine. I'm just curious what to put in those quotes.
    Does your Ubuntu machine have a WAN IP Address ? because if not then it wont get port scanned anyways, your router will which most deny portscans anyway.

Or are you worried about people on your LAN scanning your ports ?

And as stated UFW is not a firewall it is merely a interface to the Linux kernel firewall which is Netfilter/IPTables
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

No. It has a local IP address, and is behind a modem and router, both of which are firewalled as well. PortSentry is merely an additional precaution because I do use Ubuntu as a hacking distro.

Beans

No. It has a local IP address, and is behind a modem and router, both of which are firewalled as well. PortSentry is merely an additional precaution because I do use Ubuntu as a hacking distro.
    If you are behind a router using a local IP address then it is likely you are using NAT, how do you expect someone to port scan your local IP ?

You use Ubuntu as a hacking distro ? LOL what does that mean ? Feel free to explain, it wont go over my head

Beans

I legitimate hacker can get to you if he wants to, no matter what configuration you are hiding behind.

I am in the internet security field and I fall under the category "ethical hacker" which means I know how to hack, but I choose not to use it for bad things.

I dual boot Mac OS X and Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu for hacking because I can get its firewalls up tighter and there are alot more tools for Linux OS's than for OS X (I mean you can theoretically get them set up on OS X, but its more of a hassle).

Beans

I legitimate hacker can get to you if he wants to, no matter what configuration you are hiding behind.

I am in the internet security field and I fall under the category "ethical hacker" which means I know how to hack, but I choose not to use it for bad things.

I dual boot Mac OS X and Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu for hacking because I can get its firewalls up tighter and there are alot more tools for Linux OS's than for OS X (I mean you can theoretically get them set up on OS X, but its more of a hassle).
    ahhh i see, i'm enlightened

yet you thought that UFW is a firewall and "the" firewall for Ubuntu, and you would use it to get things "tight" instead of IPTables directly ?

Could you explain to me how you would get to port scan my local machine through my WAN address ? I am familiar with Firewalking, router exploitation etc so feel free to get in depth for my clarity
    Last edited by haqking; December 14th, 2012 at 06:14 PM.

Beans

Haha. Easy there. I'm still learning. I'm not an expert yet.

I know ufw is a front end for iptables, but I just called it a firewall for simplicity's sake.

The most I've done is bluejacking and minor scripting of DOS attacks. I haven't yet had any practice with breaking into routers. Most of my experience falls on the other end...preventing attacks and what not. Next year, I'll be learning the good stuff

Beans

Haha. Easy there. I'm still learning. I'm not an expert yet.

I know ufw is a front end for iptables, but I just called it a firewall for simplicity's sake.

The most I've done is bluejacking and minor scripting of DOS attacks. I haven't yet had any practice with breaking into routers. Most of my experience falls on the other end...preventing attacks and what not. Next year, I'll be learning the good stuff
    ahh ok, no worries.

Peace