Thread: all browsers crash in LUbuntu 12.10 32-bit

Beans

all browsers crash in LUbuntu 12.10 32-bit

Hi,

I'm using LUbuntu at home and can't get any browser to work - crashes within few seconds. It started after i've tried to install google voice plugin thru .deb packet.

What i've already tried:
    - reinstalled firefox and chrome
    - reinstalled flash (tried nspluginwrapper too)
    - removed google plugin (
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove google-talkplugin
    )

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: all browsers crash in LUbuntu 12.10 32-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Oh-la-la View Post
    Hi,

I'm using LUbuntu at home and can't get any browser to work - crashes within few seconds.
    Pehaps it is a RAM problem. When you boot, hit ESC at the GRUB screen and call up memtest86. If that doesn't run clear, you may have bad RAM.
    Rex
    Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad

Beans

Hey,

Have a very similar problem, with Lubuntu 12.10 on Toshiba AC100. After performing several upgrades every browser has become very unstable, namely:

[1] Chromium and xxxterm work partially: I can search on google or write this post but going to youtube or most websites crashes immediately.

[2] Firefox crashes when immediatly when starting.

First thought it was an AC100 related issue, but Oh-la-la post makes me think it could be more general. Don't think it has to do with RAM since everything was okay before I made the upgrades. Thanks for your help, and please ask for any precision.

A.

Beans

When adding "enable_scripts=0" to /home/myhome/.xxxterm.conf I experience no crash anymore in xxxterm browser.

Don't know how to go further, that is 1) disable scripts in Firefox or Chromium (no use for me), 2) understand where the problem comes from, and 3) have scripts working in any browser.

A.

Beans

Try Midori - it works fast and is very stable on Toshiba AC100.

nF

Beans

I have a simular issue. Chromium works fine using 12.04 but I get errors "he's dead jim" using 12.10 or 13.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

You guys should post RAM specs, this is a very unusual problem never dealt with it. I was running Lubuntu 12.04 32 bit before running 12.10 64 bit now browsers work fine for me. The fact that Midori works for you leads me to believe that you have very low RAM as Chromium especially takes a good bit of RAM to run.

Beans

In my case Midori crashes too; it shuts down whenever I try to access a page, let's say just google. My RAM usage is low so I don't believe that's the issue. In summary, neither Firefox, Chrome nor Midori work at all. xxxterm work decently but is very unstable. Please let me know any further information I could provide in order to identify the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Running the browsers in a terminal will spawn some outputs that can help.

Also, I don't know about Chromium, but try launching Firefox in safe mode and see if it helps:
    Code:
    firefox -safe-mode

Beans

Thanks for your answer. Please see terminal copy below: every browser crashes before showing anything.

ae@ae:~$ firefox
    ae@ae:~$ firefox -safe-mode
    ae@ae:~$ chromium-browser
    [1:1:56061534:ERROR:nss_util.cc(692)] Failed to load NSS libraries.
    Aborted (core dumped)
    ae@ae:~$ midori
    (midori:1498): GLib-ERROR **: creating thread 'dconf worker': Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable
    Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)
    ae@ae:~$ xxxterm
    WARNING: gnome-keyring:: couldn't connect to: /run/user/ae/keyring-ejavNL/pkcs11: No such file or directory
    (xxxterm:1513): GLib-ERROR **: creating thread 'dconf worker': Error creating thread: Resource temporarily unavailable
    Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

The weird point is that when I launch them from the menu the behavior is different. For example I am presently on xxxterm and it works. Firefox would show a restore page and crash whatever I do. Chromium would show that "he's dead Jim" whatever I do. Midori never shows anything.