Thread: Can't get my Garmin GPS recognized

Beans

Can't get my Garmin GPS recognized

Hi everyone !

It's been two days that i'm searching... Since I'm totally new to Ubuntu 12.10 (and I like pretty much !), I really need help. Here is my problem :

I cannot get any of cgps, xgps, gpsd, viking, mapsource (through wine) to recognize my Garmin Etrex Legend GPS. I run a Toshiba Satellite L300, and my GPS was recognized in Vista, even if I couldn't see it in "My computer" to see the files at this time. I read that Garmin make it impossible to do (at least for my this model). Besides, it seems there is no specific option to make the GPS work like a USB device in its internal settings.

In Ubuntu, I might be close to solve the problem, because it is there, as lsusb tells:

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04f2:b070 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd 
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0bda:0158 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. USB 2.0 multicard reader
    Bus 005 Device 003: ID 091e:0003 Garmin International GPS (various models)
    Bus 005 Device 002: ID 045e:00cb Microsoft Corp. Basic Optical Mouse v2.0
    Bus 006 Device 002: ID 04d9:1603 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc. Keyboard
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    I first tried this,
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-garmin.rules
    then added this content,
    SYSFS{idVendor}=="091e", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0003", MODE="666"
    saved and restart
    (from http://www.gpspassion.com/FORUMSEN/t...OPIC_ID=121878)

But nothing changed (as far as I can tell!).

I tried lots of other lines, like sudo modprobe -r garmin_gps

then nothing happens, or

sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0×091e product=0×0003

And after dmesg gives me something like that:

Code:
    [   46.068040] usb 5-1: new full-speed USB device number 3 using uhci_hcd
    [   46.215014] usb 5-1: New USB device found, idVendor=091e, idProduct=0003
    [   46.215019] usb 5-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
    [   46.218116] usbserial_generic 5-1:1.0: The "generic" usb-serial driver is only for testing and one-off prototypes.
    [   46.218121] usbserial_generic 5-1:1.0: Tell linux-usb@vger.kernel.org to add your device to a proper driver.
    [   46.218124] usbserial_generic 5-1:1.0: generic converter detected
    [   46.218346] usb 5-1: generic converter now attached to ttyUSB0

I tried troubleshooting with the info from gpsd site and had made my way to get a connection to ttyUSB0 (as dmesg shows), but still:
    Code:
    gpsmon ttyUSB0
    gpsmon: connection failure on ttyUSB0:2947, error -6 = can't connect to host/port pair.
    pierro@boite-a-bois:~$ gpsmon /dev/ttyUSB0
    select(2) failed
    I also followed these steps, but all I get from gpsbabel is :
    Code:
      p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }  gpsbabel -w -i garmin,snwhite=0,get_posn=0,power_off=0,erase_t=0,resettime=0 -f /dev/ttyUSB0 -o text,nosep=0,encrypt=0,logs=0,splitoutput=0 -F tst
     [ERROR] GPS_Packet_Read: Timeout.  No data received.
     GARMIN:Can't init /dev/ttyUSB0

Error running gpsbabel: Process exited unsucessfully with code 1
    I'm really lost now... I don't understant anything I did...!
    It would be really appreciated to have, at least some explanations... and maybe a solution !

Thank you very much !

Beans

Re: Can't get my Garmin GPS recognized

Is this a serial etrex or a USB etrex?

Beans

I connect it through a USB port.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm not very good at the HW/USB/udev stuff, but I would imagine that WINE will be constrained by how well Linux plays with the device (if Linux doesn't see it, WINE won't either--weakest link in the chain, etc) whereas Windows in a VM would see it nicely, since USB is in some sense "bridged" (signals just pass through) and Windows just deals with the device directly. It's the only cursed reason that I still have Windows on a VM--to work around just these sorts of stupid issues--but when I have to use it, it's there. Do you have a Windows VM and, if so, have you tried it?

Beans

I've tried with VmWare and VirtualBox, but I couldn't install the mapset I want to load in my GPS. So I tried wit WINE, and it worked ! That's why I'm trying to get things done inside Ubuntu.

My quest continues... I tried the troubleshooting procedures from the GPSD site. I've got new info now. From the Udev Hotplug Troubleshooting steps, I entered this command to watch the hotplug events while I plug and unplug my GPS:

tail -f /var/log/syslog

I can see the line "gpsd.hotplug: gpsd_control(action=add, arg=/dev/ttyUSB0", as it is supposed to, but it seems that the problem is in this line:

"modem-manager[804]: <warn> (ttyUSB0): port attributes not fully set"

I don't understand this... I googled it, but found nothing helpfull. Besides, I also tried this, even if I don't know what is "compiling"... :
    "If you are compiling gpsd, run make udev-install from the source directory to install the required udev rules."

But all i get is "make: *** No rule to make target `udev-install'. Stop."

And I'm still completely lost... ahah ! I'm about to give up and format everything! or maybe I should ask GPSD crew ? It seems there is no forum on their site...

Beans

I just realized I might have gone too far...

Gpsman can detect my gps, using the garmin usb protocol and ttyUSB0 port. I think gpsd was not the app I needed...

At least, I got familiar with some commands and discovered the magic of Terminal...

The thing I want to do now is getting my gps recognized in mapsource with wine. But I read that transferring maps might be a problem using this configuration... and that's exactly what I want to do. So I will try again with Virtual box. Later.

Thanks to those who replied !