Thread: Wireless Not working

Beans

Exclamation Wireless Not working

Hi everyone! Im quite new to ubuntu, and i recently installed 10.04 from my brothers old disk. I noticed that the wireless was not working, so i upgraded to 12.04 in some stupid hope that it would help, but of course, it didnt.

Ive been roaming around on loads of forums, but haven't yet found a solution...
    Ive also tried NDISwrapper, but it didnt work either..
    Ive tried updating AND searched for em using additional drivers, but yet, no avail.

Help is MUCH appreciated, since i hate sitting on here with an ethernet cable...

Of course, i will need to give you some code, of the errors, but just tell me what to type into the terminal

Thanks in advance

Beans

Re: Wireless Not working

Hi. I have given some advice on the correct installation and usage of ndiswrapper over here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2093995

Type sudo ifconfig -a in your terminal and check if wlan0 is in the list. If you can see only eth0 and lo, try installing your Windows drivers through ndiswrapper. Ndiswrapper is not a driver by itself.

Beans

yes, i know that Ndiswrapper aint a driver, Ive tried using it! When i did it says "hardware present:Yes"
    But still, Wireless wont work :/.
    I tried doing sudo ifconfig -a just now, and it didnt include wlan0 in the list :/ Only eth0.

I looked a bit into the link you sent, i dont have any other driver in "additional drivers" exept for a ATI driver. Nothing at all.

Beans

Yes, you're right. The part about Additional Drivers is not relevant with your issue. I thought the other info about Windows driver installation and complete ndiswrapper installation might help you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

First we need to know what device you are trying to get working. Can you open a terminal and give us the output of
    Code:
    lspci
    I'm assuming it's an internal PCI device, but if it's a USB device, then it's
    Code:
    lsusb
    And to see what drivers are active, also give us the output of
    Code:
    lsmod
    Then we can give advice on what may help.