Thread: Wierd popping sound in speakers!!!

Beans

Angry Wierd popping sound in speakers!!!

Hello, I have a Sony Vaio VGN series. It seems that when ever I try a newer Distro on it either Ubuntu 12.10, Linux Mint 14, or really any Distro that has a Kernel larger than 3.4 I get this really annoying popping sound from my left speaker. I thought I would be smart and disconnect my speakers because all I use is the headphone jack anyway. Then I just got the popping through my head phones (Damnit!!). I am at a loss as to what could be causing this? Any one else experiance something like this??? I currenty have the latest ArchBang on a Partition and it is doing it.

Beans

Re: Wierd popping sound in speakers!!!

I had this issue when I first installed Ubuntu 12.10 but it only occurred while I had Google Chrome running. No matter how I hard I tried, there would be an obnoxious popping sound that wouldn't go away even by muting my internal speakers through the OS.
    Try running updates and getting the stable version of Chrome, if that is indeed what is causing the popping sound.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I used to have this problem a few years ago on a Toshiba laptop that I had. I don't remember exactly if I ever fixed it, since I stopped using Linux for a few years after that.

However I do remember that it has something to do with the ALSA driver. You might have to do some digging searching your sound card with ALSA included in the search and see if anything like it comes up.

Beans

Thanks, I think I found something on the ArchLinux site about the Alsa driver. they have some fixes that I will try.
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...rom_suspension

Beans

Didn't work.