Thread: Video program suggestion request!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Video program suggestion request!

I have a project coming up (very) soon where I will be taking hundreds (if not thousands) of digital pictures and some video, putting them into a slideshow movie and throwing in some music.

What application would do this most easily and give me flexibility?

I haven't fooled around with OpenShot or KDEnlive or the like so I don't know what one would recommend.

While at the meeting it will run at it will be running from my laptop, I would love to be able to also burn copies on DVD for handing out.

At the very least, I may be compiling this on my desktop and then carry (via USB) over to my laptop.

I'll even take (free) Windows 7 application suggestions.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Video program suggestion request!

i vote kdenlive, using sunab's ppa's, you can either having bleeding edge svn version or a more stable release. kdenlive (despite it's kde dependencies) works very well within ubuntu and I have been using it for years to make youtube videos of my Call of Duty gameplay and I over lay commentaries for either tips and tricks or just non gaming topics. I have also used it to create a slideshow dvd for my brothers wedding showing him and his wifes life prior to getting married. You can set the default time for how long pictures show on the screen prior to importing although if you want special transitions between each photo can be very time consuming as you have to overlap the photo a tiny bit to apply a transition.

Good luck

Beans
    Hidden!

I use OpenShot both to edit my video clips and to make a more advanced slide show than can be done with Impress. So it works to use it to combine slides and video clips and to add sound tracks.

OpenShot should be set to save the project every 10 minutes or so because it might crash. When you are ready with the editing, you can export the result to many formats and at many quality levels (frame size, frame rate, audio quality ...).

It is not a professional tool, but fairly easy to learn and good enough for many purposes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy79 View Post
    i vote kdenlive, using sunab's ppa's, you can either having bleeding edge svn version or a more stable release. kdenlive (despite it's kde dependencies) works very well within ubuntu and I have been using it for years to make youtube videos of my Call of Duty gameplay and I over lay commentaries for either tips and tricks or just non gaming topics. I have also used it to create a slideshow dvd for my brothers wedding showing him and his wifes life prior to getting married. You can set the default time for how long pictures show on the screen prior to importing although if you want special transitions between each photo can be very time consuming as you have to overlap the photo a tiny bit to apply a transition.

Good luck
    Thanks! This is good info. For the sake of holding onto as much of the little hair I still have, I'd probably go for the (more) stable version.

I am putting together the entire year's worth of Cub Scout activities and the person that did it before has set the bar pretty high for me to maintain.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531