Thread: Error linking to lapack has appeared in 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Error linking to lapack has appeared in 12.04

I recently tried to re-compile a simple program I wrote previously using GMM++ (from the package libgmm++-dev) and Lapack, but after updating my operating system from lucid to precise, I am now getting an error during the linking process. There seems to be a problem linking to some of the functions provided by Lapack, but I can't understand the origin of the error and why it only occurs in the newer Ubuntu version. I hope this is the right place to ask for help on this.

Below is a very simple test program using one of the offending functions. When I attempt to compile it using g++ on my system , I get the error
    Code:
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    It seems to be complaining about
    Code:
    undefined reference to `zgeev_'
    but as far as I can tell I have all the required libraries, so I can't quite understand what the problem is.

I ran nm and got
    Code:
    $ nm -D /usr/lib/liblapack.so | grep zgeev
    00000000006e5270 T zgeev_
    00000000006e7030 T zgeevx_
    which as far as I can tell suggests the symbol zgeev_ is defined by the library. I have confirmed that this program compiles just fine under lucid. I have also installed the lapack-test package on my system and run the command
    Code:
    xeigtstz < zgg.in
    which says it "Tests of the Generalized Nonsymmetric Eigenvalue Problem routines" and reports all tests passed. I believe this test should include the zgeev function (though I haven't yet found explicit confirmation of that).

I would file a bug report, except I can't tell if the problem is with g++, liblapack, libgfortran3, or maybe libgmm++.

Any insight on the root of the problem would be appreciated.

System information:

Ubuntu Linux 12.04.1 (precise)
    g++ (4:4.6.3-1ubuntu5)
    GMM++ package -- libgmm++-dev (4.1.1-5ubuntu1)
    Lapack package -- liblapack3gf (3.3.1-1)
    Blas package -- libblas3gf (1.2.20110419-2ubuntu1)
    gFortran package -- libgfortran3 (4.6.3-1ubuntu5)

Build command and errors:
    Code:
    $ g++ -llapack -lblas -lgfortran bug.cc
    /tmp/ccPq2tbF.o: In function `void gmm::geev_interface_right<std::vector<std::complex<double>, std::allocator<std::complex<double> > > >(gmm::dense_matrix<std::complex<double> > const&, std::vector<std::complex<double>, std::allocator<std::complex<double> > > const&, gmm::dense_matrix<std::complex<double> >&)':
    bug.cc:(.text._ZN3gmm20geev_interface_rightISt6vectorISt7complexIdESaIS3_EEEEvRKNS_12dense_matrixIS3_EERKT_RS7_[void gmm::geev_interface_right<std::vector<std::complex<double>, std::allocator<std::complex<double> > > >(gmm::dense_matrix<std::complex<double> > const&, std::vector<std::complex<double>, std::allocator<std::complex<double> > > const&, gmm::dense_matrix<std::complex<double> >&)]+0x208): undefined reference to `zgeev_'
    bug.cc:(.text._ZN3gmm20geev_interface_rightISt6vectorISt7complexIdESaIS3_EEEEvRKNS_12dense_matrixIS3_EERKT_RS7_[void gmm::geev_interface_right<std::vector<std::complex<double>, std::allocator<std::complex<double> > > >(gmm::dense_matrix<std::complex<double> > const&, std::vector<std::complex<double>, std::allocator<std::complex<double> > > const&, gmm::dense_matrix<std::complex<double> >&)]+0x35d): undefined reference to `zgeev_'
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Test code (bug.cc):
    Code:
    #include <complex>
    #define GMM_USES_LAPACK
    #include <gmm/gmm.h>

typedef std::complex<double> scalar;

int main()
    {
        try {

gmm::dense_matrix<scalar> A(4,4);
            gmm::dense_matrix<scalar> U(4,4);