Thread: [SOLVED] Text invisible in terminal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

[SOLVED] Text invisible in terminal.

When im typing a command in terminal only the first character before the cursor is visible. The rest cannot be seen until i have executed the command. Some other text like the result of commands is invisible too. Im wondering if anyone is able to help

Cheers

-Lenswipe
    Toaster: Morphy Richards, 10 brown settings, breadwarming and cooking from frozen
    Kettle: Morphy Richards, visible elment, auto shutoff.
    Blender: Broken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Text invisible in terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by lenswipe View Post
    When im typing a command in terminal only the first character before the cursor is visible. The rest cannot be seen until i have executed the command. Some other text like the result of commands is invisible too. Im wondering if anyone is able to help

Cheers

-Lenswipe
    Have you tried changing the colors in edit > profile preferences? The default is to use theme colors but you can change it.
    Nils

My System: 9.04 - Dell Latitude D620, Video: Intel 945GM, Audio: Intel 82801G, Wireless: Intel 3945ABG, Ethernet: Broadcom CM5752, Bluetooth: Toshiba Internal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by NilsE View Post
    Have you tried changing the colors in edit > profile preferences? The default is to use theme colors but you can change it.
    its nothing to do with the colors. What happens is im typing a command

lets say sudo apt-get install whatever

while im typing whatever the "sudo apt-get install" is invisible. the only thing i can see is the first character behind the cursor.

Its after i tried to install xfce. Things went kinda crazy but mostly i got it back to normal apart from this.

-L
    Toaster: Morphy Richards, 10 brown settings, breadwarming and cooking from frozen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by lenswipe View Post
    its nothing to do with the colors. What happens is im typing a command

lets say sudo apt-get install whatever

while im typing whatever the "sudo apt-get install" is invisible. the only thing i can see is the first character behind the cursor.

Its after i tried to install xfce. Things went kinda crazy but mostly i got it back to normal apart from this.

-L
    xfce changes the themes so it may have your background and font colors the same if your are set to default which is to use system theme. Just for the heck of it try changing the text color in the terminal.
    Nils

My System: 9.04 - Dell Latitude D620, Video: Intel 945GM, Audio: Intel 82801G, Wireless: Intel 3945ABG, Ethernet: Broadcom CM5752, Bluetooth: Toshiba Internal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by NilsE View Post
    xfce changes the themes so it may have your background and font colors the same if your are set to default which is to use system theme. Just for the heck of it try changing the text color in the terminal.
    Have you rebooted after the install?
    The next time you see this problem at the terminal, try typing: 'reset', w/o quotes, followed by an ENTER.

It will not reboot, nor anything radical your box, type:

Code:
    man reset (ENTER)
    to see what it does.
    Live long and prosper.
    And use lotsa Linux, BSD, and Emacs.

Beans

Which terminal emulator do you use? (gnome-terminal, xfce4-terminal or something else)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

meh, works now. Idk wtf was wrong with it. Few reboots later after the xfce install and now it works...

-.-

thanks nyway guys

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hictio View Post
    Have you rebooted after the install?
    The next time you see this problem at the terminal, try typing: 'reset', w/o quotes, followed by an ENTER.

It will not reboot, nor anything radical your box, type:

Code:
    man reset (ENTER)
    to see what it does.
    Ah, thanks. this resolved my issue which was much like the above issue. Must remember "reset".

Rock on!