Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Is WUBI worth it?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Beans
    12,944

    Re: Is WUBI worth it?

    Like most things it has it's plus and minus sides. If Wubi fits your needs use it, if it doesn't fit don't use it.

    Worth it? That value is in the hands of the beholder.
    This account is not active.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Beans
    85

    Re: Is WUBI worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by sidzen View Post
    No.

    If dual-boot is too hard, use two hard drives (even in a laptop, time will be used more efficiently than fooling with WUBI)!

    Well thats a silly option for someone with no tech knowlage, don't you think?

  3. #23
    monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    874

    Re: Is WUBI worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mJayk View Post
    Well thats a silly option for someone with no tech knowlage, don't you think?
    Not really, I had next to no tech knowledge when I started (dual booting with Ubuntu's own partition). I made a full installation in a usb flash drive using a tutorial online in just a few weeks. Then I found it too slow and and bought an external hard drive a few months later. All you need to know actually is where to put the bootloader.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; December 12th, 2012 at 08:20 PM.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Beans
    85

    Re: Is WUBI worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Not really, I had next to no tech knowledge when I started (dual booting with Ubuntu's own partition). I made a full installation in a usb flash drive using a tutorial online in just a few weeks. Then I found it too slow and and bought an external hard drive a few months later. All you need to know actually is where to put the bootloader.
    Well I'd probably say you had some tech knowlage, considering hard drivers are tech and you had knowlage of what to buy and how to install it.

    Again all you know is some actual tech knowlage.

    Nobody forces anybody to use WUBI but it fills a gap and allows some people to experience ubuntu, if its useful for them then fine. Nobody is restricted to it.

  5. #25
    monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    874

    Re: Is WUBI worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by mJayk View Post
    Well I'd probably say you had some tech knowlage, considering hard drivers are tech and you had knowlage of what to buy and how to install it.

    Again all you know is some actual tech knowlage.

    .
    Well if you have no tech knowledge even at that level you probably wouldn't know about Ubuntu either. If you know what an OS is and that computer != Windows you have some tech knowledge too.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Beans
    85

    Re: Is WUBI worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Well if you have no tech knowledge even at that level you probably wouldn't know about Ubuntu either. If you know what an OS is and that computer != Windows you have some tech knowledge too.

    I really disagree I think ubuntu is very intuitive different people have different needs and I deffo think wubi serves its purpose very well.

    Take people who dont really know anything about computers (granted not many of them about) they are just as clueless about windows and wubi gives them a good chance to try something new with very very little risk and with no trouble installing.

    When I ask people to give it a go WUBI is one of the big sellers for them to at least try it and a month or two later they are duel booting.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Is WUBI worth it?

    +1

    I did a survey on Wubi not too far back, and there was a clear distinction of those who would recommend Wubi.

    Who would recommend Wubi

    For those that have never installed Wubi:
    7% would recommend Wubi
    93% would not.

    For those that have installed Wubi, but no longer use it:
    67% would recommend Wubi
    33% would not.

    For those that are currently using Wubi:
    100% would recommend it (probably need to consider the sample size, the intention whether to keep using Wubi, and the length of time the users have used Wubi)

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Beans
    343
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Is WUBI worth it?

    THere's a lot of "what about people with no tech knowledge" concerns coming up, but I'm not sure that's terribly important.

    If you want to install your own OS, there is no way around some level of tech knowledge, and that usually comes from looking things up.

    I know people who have no idea how to reinstall Windows on their machine, and yet, sooner or later they find out how to do it, by trying and by looking things up.


    Doesn't mean the barrier to entry should be artificially high, but at some point, you have to assume the user can figure out how to burn a CD.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Is WUBI worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by weasel fierce View Post
    <snip>
    If you want to install your own OS, there is no way around some level of tech knowledge, and that usually comes from looking things up.
    <snip>
    Doesn't mean the barrier to entry should be artificially high, but at some point, you have to assume the user can figure out how to burn a CD.
    There is one way around it... it's called Wubi.

    Canonical want market share, and that means going after all levels of users. They don't want any barriers, artificially high or not. What would be the point of creating artificial barriers anyway?

  10. #30
    monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    874

    Re: Is WUBI worth it?

    Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    There is one way around it... it's called Wubi.

    Canonical want market share, and that means going after all levels of users. They don't want any barriers, artificially high or not. What would be the point of creating artificial barriers anyway?
    I completely agree with Weaseal.

    For someone to have heard about Ubuntu and have the curiosity to check it out would at minimal require some tech interests if not actual knowledge, from there to gain the minimal knowledge for a real dual boot is not difficult, I started off just by googling and nothing more, I didn't even know about UF.

    It is unrealistic to expect any less in terms of tech competence and interest.

    WUBI install is not trivial either if your targets are the lowest common denominator users with NO tech knowledge or curiosity whatsoever like my dad (even assume for argument's sake that by some magic they know about Ubuntu and want to try it out). You would be surprised to know how many such users can't even install a Windows program with confidence. I have suggested a friend to install Libreoffice for over a year (in Windows) and he still hasn't done it because he says he is too busy to find out. There is nothing to find out, just download the .exe and click it! I even sent him the link. He has an old copy of MSO 2003 which someone has installed for him years ago and that's all he uses for basic word processing (he publishes in academic journals) . It is unrealistic to try to promote Ubuntu to such users.

    Finally, getting WUBI to work can be frustrating as evidenced by the many threads on the support forums. It has its own peculiar bugs and limitations and often it is hard to get help on UF because most people here don't use it (you seem to be the only go to person apparently). So if you are actually spending time to trouble shoot it (thus not barrier free) why not do something more stable and performs better instead?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •