Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Encryption tools other than Truecrypt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Encryption tools other than Truecrypt

Quote Originally Posted by tubbygweilo View Post
    Sound advice indeed.

Bruce Schneier has been exploring the world of the Evil Maid for quite some time so it comes down to a layered defense with consideration given to attack vectors and then defending against those you can.
    D'accord. Of course, you must retain physical control of your kit at all times, else all bets are off.

Personally I don't use whole disk encryption that much - bad experiences in the early days of the concept.

If you feel a need to protect the sanctity of you private life then measure the risks - almost invariably they will be close at hand, rather than sinister government agencies; the Feds etc.

Actually EcryptFS gives pretty good protection against casual attack by the average crim who's nicked your laptop and is curious about its contents.

Whole disk encryption will stop him dead but he'll just take the disk out and sell the box on, probably for peanuts.

Hope this helps
    rjbl

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sahabcse View Post
    Try LUKS – The Linux Unified Key Setup – and dm-crypt.

I think GUI not available for this
    cryptsetup now has a desktop environment/file manager independent GUI front end called "zuluCrypt".

The project is hosted at: http://code.google.com/p/zulucrypt/

disclaimer:
    I am the founder and current maintainer of the project and just joined this forum to raise awareness of my project.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mhogomchungu View Post
    cryptsetup now has a desktop environment/file manager independent GUI front end called "zuluCrypt".

The project is hosted at: http://code.google.com/p/zulucrypt/

disclaimer:
    I am the founder and current maintainer of the project and just joined this forum to raise awareness of my project.
    Welcome, hopefully your project is embraced by the community.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Welcome, hopefully your project is embraced by the community.
    thank you,i hope so too.

background of why i started the project.I wanted to manage cryptsetup plain type encrypted volumes that reside in files using a GUI solution and there was no solution to use.I then started the project to solve my problem and decided to expand it and release it to the community in a a hope that it will be useful to others too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123