Thread: How can I change the Launcher background color?

Beans

Unhappy How can I change the Launcher background color?

Hi there,

I really want to change the background color of the Ubuntu launcher bar (Unity) in 12.10. At the moment, it is bright turquoise and looks really bad, but I like the background. I have searched often, but cannot find a solution. I have tried Ubuntu Tweak and I cannot find a function there to change the color. It also does not change with the background color I set. How can I do it?

Thanks for all replies,

Barry Smith

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How can I change the Launcher background color?

Hello,

You can install compizconfig-settings-manager.

Then go to the unity shell plugin(or Ubuntu unity plugin).

Then change the background color in the general tab.

The background color, I believe changes the launcher and panel color.

Compizconfig-settings-manager is a robust utility, where you can change a whole suite of functions. But beware, whatever you do, try not to uncheck the unity plugin, as doing so will turn off unity and leave you without a desktop.
    Also, sometimes changes made with this tool take a moment to take affect, and sometimes causes seemingly erratic behavior. Your best bet is to remember this and be patient and try and let it do its thing.(ie, you might change a setting and the screen will start flashing or seem to freeze up, it'll usually reset itself, though sometimes it takes a little longer. Be patient.)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another app that you can give a try to customize the way your desktop looks could be Unsetting or Ubuntu Tweak.

Beans

Thankyou all, this is really helpful. I will try all of these solutions.

Thanks again,

Barry Smith

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Hello,
    Compizconfig-settings-manager is a robust utility, where you can change a whole suite of functions. But beware, whatever you do, try not to uncheck the unity plugin, as doing so will turn off unity and leave you without a desktop.
    Uh-oh, I noticed it is a problematic tool... My mistake was to click "Restore default settings" or something to that effect, resulting in a system where I can't move any Windows, even though I searched through the settings to find a remedy. Since there is no template from which I could copy correct settings, the best thing to do is probably to switch back to Gnome desktop. Well, I might copy the settings from someone over the net but Unity doesn't seem worth it ... especially when upgraded from an old system, Unity's launchbar becomes messy.