Thread: Ati drivers on Lubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Post Ati drivers on Lubuntu

So I just got an invite for the steam beta. I switched to Lubuntu about a month ago and I have made it my default version. I ended up reinstalling the thing from scratch and now I don't have any other GUI on my linux installation. So I was wondering how do I install the ati drivers on Lubuntu. I know they're not working since even Chromiun (the open source rail shooter game) doesn't run well on the thing. I have an Ati 4890 on my PC and I used to use the restricted drivers options in the regular ubuntu. But that window is nowhere to be found on Lubuntu and the documentation on lubuntu.net doesn't say how to get them to work (afaik). Could anyone tell me if there's (preferably) a graphical way to install the drivers? I would like to know the drivers installed well and have some visual way to know they're working right (like the green light shown when you're using the ati driver in unity's restricted drivers window). But I'll use sudo apt-get if necessary. I just want to know to be able to get in the linux beta as soon as possible. Thanks.
    The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ati drivers on Lubuntu

did you check in software sources? i believe the driver installation programme moved there.

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/10/to-d...lation-of.html
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/07/u...pha-3-released
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Post Re: Ati drivers on Lubuntu

Thanks for the info. I'm giving it a try right now. I'm finding this less ideal than the previous way of installing the drivers. I liked just clicking that one checkbox and getting them installed right away.
    The Enrichment Center reminds you that the Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Question Re: Ati drivers on Lubuntu

For some reason the fglrx drivers set my resolution to 1280 x 800 leaving a black frame around the image. My monitor can go up to 1920 x 1080. Do I need to configure something after this or is my card no longer supported? This is the first time I've had this happen.

Edit: Also, even though the drivers are installed, software sources says there are no propietary drivers in use.
    Last edited by Extol11; December 11th, 2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: adding

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ati drivers on Lubuntu

Ati 4890 - you need to use 12.04 i think. 2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx support was dropped i belive. not sure though. or you can install legacy driver with a PPA.
    Not using LXDE to knwo where to change resolution (if that is the only issue)
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Post Re: Ati drivers on Lubuntu

Do you mean the 12.04 version of Ubuntu or some old drivers? But official Ubuntu documentation is a bit lacking at the moment. I guess I'll have to reinstall 12.04 soon then. I'll see if I can get the PPA for them. Thanks for the help.