Thread: lubuntu booted once, crashed, won't boot again

Beans

Angry lubuntu booted once, crashed, won't boot again

Hello,
    I just installed ubuntu from wubi and got it to boot the first time. However, it couldn't find my wireless network and immediately crashed when I clicked "system tools" (or was it "system preferences"?) I restarted with ubuntu and I got a black screen, which flashed twice as if it was about to load, but never did.

I restarted again with windows 7 and uninstalled ubuntu, and installed lubuntu with wubi again (thinking I was just using too much memory with ubuntu or something...my computer is sort of considered a "netbook.") Well, lubuntu booted up fine the first time it came up after installing it. But then, although it did recognize my wireless network, it said I needed to type in a password, even though my network doesn't require a password. Then, I went to "system tools" again in the start menu, and lubuntu crashed there too.

What's going on? How can I fix it?

I'm trying to dual boot with Windows 7 on an acer aspire one 722.

Thanks for your help, in advance.

EDIT: I fixed the wireless problem. It was my own fault.

New problem: I fixed the blank screen by using nomodeset in the boot up screen. Now I'm trying to "install a graphics driver," which apparently was the problem? I don't know how to do this, though. I went to this forum:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/74171...rted-in-ubuntu

and followed the directions, but whenever I try to type in "sudo apt-get" anything, I get an error message.
    Last edited by lcooper145; December 11th, 2012 at 05:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: lubuntu booted once, crashed, won't boot again

Quote Originally Posted by lcooper145 View Post
    EDIT: I fixed the wireless problem. It was my own fault.
    what did you do wrong? Others might have the same problem and can learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by lcooper145 View Post
    ... but whenever I try to type in "sudo apt-get" anything, I get an error message.
    It does not help to state that you get an error message; there are possibly a few hundred of them. Please provide full command and full error message (you can copy and paste from terminal).
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

Sorry, here's the error message:

Code:
    sudo: parse error in /etc/sudoers near line 31
    sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting
    sudo: unable to initialize policy plugin
    I think that happened after I changed the /etc/sudoers file to include

Code:
    username (ALL)=ALL NOPASSWD (ALL)=ALL
    Sorry, it's late, that might not be the exact code that I did. I wanted to make it so I didn't have to type my password into terminal because it was telling me my password was wrong for some reason.

I first noticed the error when I typed this:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++6 dkms libqtgui4 wget execstack libelfg0 dh-modaliases
    while trying to install a graphics driver (I told you I have no idea what I'm doing, I've just been trying to make lubuntu usable for the past eleven hours),

although I got the same message when I typed

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gpointing-device-settings
    while trying to somehow get auto-click to stop (I can't find Universal Access or any relevant mouse settings)

Beans

Re: the wireless thing, I realized that "password" was just asking for my own ubuntu password. heh.