Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't Want Libreoffice. Don't Want Abiword. So Why Force Me?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Don't Want Libreoffice. Don't Want Abiword. So Why Force Me?

Quote Originally Posted by whitecat23 View Post
    The Gnome Desktop relies on having either of those two programs around when they have absolutely nothing to do with the operating system.
    COuld it be that documentation or browser connections are connected to libre office or some other office programme that can read the format?!?

OpenOffice 3.4 is not only the best office suite for Linux, but a good office suite by any standard.
    libre office was made because development on openoffice stopped or was held back by oracle. so libre office first fixed plenty of bugs from openoffice, improved compatibility with MS office and added a few new features. so yeah there is a difference between them.

I use it by choice and I still wouldn't want that forced on me or on anyone else. Windows doesn't force an office suite down my throat (you can uninstall MS Office if you don't like it - I have), so why does Ubuntu feel it has to control that aspect of my experience? I thought Ubuntu was about choice...
    Try to uninstall explorer in windows. also remove word pad. see if it's easy.

An OS can function just fine without a word processor, a web browser, or whatever. It all depends on what you want to do with it.
    you are correct. hence the mini.iso. installs basic os, you add what you need to it and that's it. you can use command line only (no GUI), if you want to. you can also remove drivers and modules you don't need from kernel and compile your own mini kernel that works only on your maschine. so many choices....

but that's not the point here. the point is that people want an OS that is easy to install and has many things preinstalled for them (inlducing media player, browser, office suite, emailclient, IM porgramme...). which is why many use Ubuntu (or Mint which has even more stuff preinstalled).
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

I'm not crazy about Libreoffice and Abiword is a dog. But what do you use instead? I've looked in Synaptic for a basic RTF text editor and haven't found any. It's mostly arcane code editors for programmers.

Beans

For me, emacs covers 90% of text editing needs. Latex covers the next 9%. For the last 1%, well, most of the time Google Docs works.

For presentations - well, I'm not a fan of Impress, so I tend to go for the Google presentation. It's nice when I have to present on someone else's computer, too. I can be sure that my formatting won't go wonky.

For spreadsheets - either Google spreadsheets or I just use python (via IDLE).

I still keep Libreoffice on my machine, mostly because it does come in handy every now and then.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I'll just install the dependencies ... Thanks all.
    Please mark thread as solved from Thread Tools if you're satisfied it is.

Beans

Very interesting thread! So far I was only aware of the "requirement" to have a browser installed.

Beans
    Hidden!

My philosophy is to pare everything down to an absolute minimum and build up using only what I need.
    Then you may want to look at something like gentoo, arch, or slackware.

Ubuntu is designed to be a) usable, and b) usable by non-linux users. Hence why EVERYTHING is already done.

If you're looking to build your own OS, then it's not really for you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by agxryt View Post

If you're looking to build your own OS, then it's not really for you.
    Not true. Try the minimal install, mini.iso

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

You call the shots. It only installs the Ubuntu base which is at the bottom of all the Ubuntu flavours, not apps.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Not true. Try the minimal install, mini.iso

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD

You call the shots. It only installs the Ubuntu base which is at the bottom of all the Ubuntu flavours, not apps.
    I've never heard of this before. I'm actually going to download it right meow!

What's the difference between using this, downloading XFCE and using XFCE applications, and just using lubuntu? Can I still get the same lightweight OS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by agxryt View Post
    I've never heard of this before. I'm actually going to download it right meow!

What's the difference between using this, downloading XFCE and using XFCE applications, and just using lubuntu? Can I still get the same lightweight OS?
    The difference is that with Lubuntu and Xubuntu, you're still presented with a full system, complete with word processors and stuffs. With Minimal, you can have an extremely barebone and lightweight system, so barebone that you can just slap Openbox and Firefox on the thing and call it a day

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    The difference is that with Lubuntu and Xubuntu, you're still presented with a full system, complete with word processors and stuffs. With Minimal, you can have an extremely barebone and lightweight system, so barebone that you can just slap Openbox and Firefox on the thing and call it a day
    +1. Lol. Exactly.

As I said, you only get the Ubuntu base system, no apps. You could, in fact, then install xubuntu-desktop and it would be pretty much the same as a regular Xubuntu install. So no point!

But, you could install lxde or xfce4 desktop environment and whatever apps you use regularly and call it a day. This will not be a full blown Xubuntu or Lubuntu but your own personal hybrid (as minimal installs are destined to be).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast