Thread: TTY logon profile settings

Hybrid View

Beans

TTY logon profile settings

I have a novice questions since this is my first install of Ubuntu in a very, very, Long time.

I modified /etc/init/tty1.conf of shell with the following command.
    exec /sbin/getty -n -l /bin/sh -8 38400 tty1, now when the machine boots up, it starts the tty and auto logs in with with "root"

I know there is no "root" user, so my question is

How do i modify the logged in users "ls colors", the Up arrow to give me the last command and other thing like this?

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ylafont; December 11th, 2012 at 01:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: TTY logon profile settings

edit:

Code:
    ~/.bashrc
    This is a hidden file on your home directory, so make sure you include the period character before "bashrc".

Beans

That's just it. The ubuntu installtion does not create the "Root" user. so there is no home directory, and no .bashrc file to modify.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ylafont View Post
    That's just it. The ubuntu installtion does not create the "Root" user. so there is no home directory, and no .bashrc file to modify.
    Can you logout, then log back in under your original username? I don't understand why you did what you did to getty, but agree that root is useless to you.

1. Try logout, then login with original username you used to install. If this doesn't work,
    2. Do
    Code:
    su -l user_name
    where user_name is the username you used to install, else
    3. Try <ctrl>+<alt>+<F2> which will switch you into a new console.
    4. Then login with the original username you used to install.

Once there, you s/b in the home directory of the proper user.

Fixing getty is a whole 'nuther matter as I am out of my depth on that one. Will require input from one of the gurus.

Beans

I have been logon in via ssh with the installation user id.

I was reading through the forum found a post stating to use the method mention to auto-logon the console. rather than creating another user. if that is not the case please let me me know what is best and I can change the line back in getty.

I can always configure the system to logon as the installation user and/or create the root user.

But hey the more i learn, the more I will know.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I think I am beginning to understand the dynamic here. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

You wanted to autologon every time you booted up, possibly because you wanted to duplicate the Windows behaviour that you were used to? If so, then please read my reply to a previous poster:

Many people who come from the Windows world are unused to the password nature of Linux and try to recreate their Windows environment out of habit. I try to show them that much of what I don't like about Windows, and perhaps even some of the Windows drawbacks that also drove them to looking at Linux in the first place, are non-issues in Linux precisely because of its enforcement of passwords. In fact, I feel so strongly about this that I have resolved to refrain from providing procedures for bypassing Linux security. The last thing the Linux community needs is to have Linux evolve into something as insecure as Windows.

This is not meant as a slight to the OP. I fully understand that your motives are entirely honourable. However, I must point out that your laptop can be stolen or lost. Your home can be broken into and your laptop taken. If it ever is, then all of your e-mail (including those medical records from your doctor, those statements from your bank, those nasty things you wrote about your boss) are completely available for anyone to read merely at the press of a power button.

This isn't all. One of the best advantages that Linux has over Windows is the lack of any need for antivirus. We don't need to load up antivirus programs that spend the first 10 minutes of every bootup downloading antivirus signatures and new engines, then slowing the whole system down to a crawl by incessantly scanning our hard disks and intercepting e-mails. However, a primary reason for this advantage is due to Linux's enforcement of passwords. But you can't have it both ways. If you don't want to deal with viruses and antivirus measures, then you have to accept the need for passwords.

My advice to new users is in fact the opposite: more security, not less. You should consider encrypting your /home directory when you install so that all of your e-mail is nothing but a meaningless garble to anyone but you. You should turn on the firewall that Ubuntu has turned off by default. And you should not only use a password, but a strong one so that it's too much time and trouble for some cracker to try breaking it. Linux actually makes these things as unobtrusive and as painless as possible. We get a lot of security for very little effort. Why hobble it?

My $.02 anyway.
    Please understand that your attempting to autologin (if I have this right) basically circumvents Linux security.

As we attempt to fix this, did you try any of the things in my first post? If so, what was the result? Why do you need to ssh into your machine? Does logging out not work? What about the su command? Try these first and describe the results.