Thread: Grub error installing 12.10

Beans

Question Grub error installing 12.10

I'm having an issue installing Ubuntu 12.10 desktop on an Intel S5520SC system. When it tries to install grub it gets a fatal error that it cant find /dev/sda. If I tell it to select a different destination only /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1 show up.

This is a fresh install with no EFI set and SATA is set to IDE.

Update: Fixed the issue using this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair as you can see in the log file i have some raid setup that is interfering with the install. It's odd in the fact the in my BIOS its set to IDE Enhanced.

Grub repair log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1424310/
    Last edited by omega552003; December 10th, 2012 at 11:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Grub error installing 12.10

It would help if you specify where are you installing? Which disk and what partition? Do you have more than one disk (sda and sdb)?

Also, if some disks have traces of raid meta data, installing grub might fail because it will think it's raid and you install on raid differently.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    It would help if you specify where are you installing? Which disk and what partition? Do you have more than one disk (sda and sdb)?

Also, if some disks have traces of raid meta data, installing grub might fail because it will think it's raid and you install on raid differently.
    I think that is exactly what was happening, the 2 disks are retired 250GB enterprise drives that were on a RAID and i guess one still has the RAID metadata from an LSI controller.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

To make sure you delete meta data from both disks, you can do this from live mode:
    sudo dmraid -Er /dev/sda
    sudo dmraid -Er /dev/sdb
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit