Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: different filesystems on the same disk

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: different filesystems on the same disk

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    How much RAM do you have and can you remove one module? Some systems want two matched, most will run with one.

If so, you can test with one RAM memory module and then with the other to see if it makes a difference.
    I have 2, 1G sticks. I will try your suggestion when I have more time and report back here.

Thanks for your input.

Beans
    Hidden!

I believe the system is detecting both memory sticks. I have System Monitor running and under Memory and Swap History it tells me how much of 2GB I am using so I would guess it's detecting both sticks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by unibroker View Post
    I believe the system is detecting both memory sticks.
    Yes, but if the memtest is turning up some kind of error, you want to find out where it is.

You can usually isolate a RAM problem to one stick by taking out one, running memtest, swapping the one RAM stick for the other and running memtest again.

Given that it is unlikely that both sticks have developed problems at the same time, it is likely that memtest will only show errors with one of the two sticks.

Then, you try booting with only the stick installed that shows no errors. Memtest should show zero errors if the RAM is good.

You should be able to run the machine on only one stick of RAM until you can organise a replacement (or an upgrade to more RAM...).
    Michael

Beans
    Hidden!

How much RAM do you have and can you remove one module? Some systems want two matched, most will run with one.

If so, you can test with one RAM memory module and then with the other to see if it makes a difference.
    I ran the computer with each stick removed and got the same error message as when they were both in place. The sticks are occupying banks 0 and 2. The computer ran fine with only one stick in place at a time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

That seems like RAM is ok. But then something else must be. Not sure if hardware or some software.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!

Looks like this bios error message was being associated with ASUS motherboards which is what I have. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=549429

Beans
    Hidden!

I wanted to post 2 interesting links that I found while researching this memtest error. The error message seems attributable to larger rams. The first link proposes a patch and a modification to your bootloader. http://bitcube.co.uk/content/memtest-failures-0

The second is from a Debian bug report started in 2005 and progressing to the patch in 2009. I found it interesting but over my head; good lesson though. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=319837

Beans
    Hidden!

I then start to think you may have hard ware issues.

Have you run memory tests? Sometimes just cleaning & reseating memory helps. But it could be just about anything.
    I wanted to give you an update. I was using gparted this morning and noticed a "memtest86 v4.2" as one of the options on the initial screen. I ran it and the tests (I did 2 passes) ran with no errors.

Also, since your recommendation of physically removing the memory sticks and booting the computer with 1 of the 2 in place each time, I have had no freezes/lockups on initial boot! Seems like your suggestion has re-seated the sticks and cured what has ailed my system for months. Thank you for that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12