Thread: Partition / Windows Installation

Beans

Partition / Windows Installation

I currently have Ubuntu 10 installed on my girlfriend's laptop and want to revert it back to Windows.

When I try to boot from the recovery disc I get the following pop-up message:

"Error FAIL to get Disk 0 partition 1 drive letter"

I have done some research and have read this is a partition related issue but to be honest I am not that advanced at using partitions on Ubuntiu beyond GPARTEd.

Any advice on how I can resolve would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Partition / Windows Installation

so you're trying to boot to a windows xp install disc and completely wipe out ubuntu? It sounds like you didn't choose in the BIOS to boot to the windows xp install disc

Beans

Yeah I am trying to completely wipe Ubuntu using a the machines recovery disc (Acer laptop originally Windows Vista). I have booted from this disc then it starts to loads the files then the message appears.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Windows only understands NTFS partitions. Normal installs also want a boot flag on the install partition. Windows does not "see" Linux formated partitions.

Disk 0 partition 1 would be sda1, so is that not a NTFS partition? The recovery will want to restore to the original partition structure and maybe the original partition structure & sizes?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

At the moment SDA is not a NTFS partition. I will set to NTFS type and flag as boot and see if that works.

Beans

Now after running the windows recovery disc on the NTFS partition I get the following message:

error: unknown filesystem
    grub rescue>

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

thats because grub is still installed into the MBR. I am not sure a computer restore disk will work unless the hard disk is returned to how it was formatted/partitioned like it was when it was purchased. you may need to use a live cd of gparted and wipe out the mbr and partition table before the recovery cd will work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If restore otherwise worked, it may not restore MBR as it "knows" it still is the Windows boot loader.

You can use a Windows repairCD or Linux to put in a Windows work alike boot loader into the MBR.

How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader (Updated for Ubuntu 9.10 - grub2) - talsemgeest
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ta/7Bootloader
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Managed to get Windows up and running - thanks for the help!