Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu no go with VirtusalBox

Beans

Ubuntu no go with VirtusalBox

Hi guys,

Decided to add Ubuntu to VB, but this is all I get when I start it (see attached photo). I have tried everything, including reinstalling and all I get is this background and that's it. I think I'm missing something very simple, but don't know what.

Any help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Ubuntu no go with VirtusalBox

Are the graphics settings are reasonably good on the virtual machine?

Try ctrl+alt+t to get a terminal open if it works.

Alternatively try doing alt+f2/3/... to get to a command line, which would be good for diagnosing what's wrong.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Did you install the vbox guest additions successfully into the guestOS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi DrRus. Welcome to the forums

12Mb for video RAM is too little.

Later versions of Ubuntu (running Unity) require more video RAM (read here). Try increasing it to 128Mb.

Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LiamOS View Post
    Are the graphics settings are reasonably good on the virtual machine?

Try ctrl+alt+t to get a terminal open if it works.

Alternatively try doing alt+f2/3/... to get to a command line, which would be good for diagnosing what's wrong.
    Got the terminal open, but don't know what to do from there first time outside windows here, hehe...

12Mb for video RAM is too little.

Later versions of Ubuntu (running Unity) require more video RAM (read here). Try increasing it to 128Mb.
    Done, but no difference.

Did you install the vbox guest additions successfully into the guestOS?
    I believe I did. To be 100% certain I think I will reinstall the whole thing once more

Beans

Well,

I reinstalled Ubuntu and the same thing happened - just the background image and nothing else. The I began to install the guest additions and I got an error message "The application Compiz has closed unexpectedly". I tried to relaunch it a couple of times just to get the same error, so I ignored and continued with the guest additions. After restart - still nothing...

I can get the terminal open and even opened some text editor (?) by using "gedit" command. But other than terminal - nothing else. Not a fan right now Shame, considering Vista installed with no issues...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Did you check the md5sum on your downloaded image? Did you check the media for errors?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Don't login using the Unity interface. You can control that at the login OR by disabling the 2D and 3D GPU accel in the VM settings. I always give desktop VMs 128MB of video RAM. While not for Ubuntu VM Hosts, I've written up how to make the settings optimal for an Ubuntu VM Guest system running under a Windows HostOS here: http://blog.jdpfu.com/2012/09/14/sol...-in-virtualbox

To load the vbox guest extention dependencies, check this http://blog.jdpfu.com/2012/07/05/vir...n-dependencies

Sorry I don't have direct experience. I use KVM for Linux hosts, not VirtualBox. KVM is better for non-desktop OSes, IMHO.

Beans

Have you had a look at the 3d settings in VirtualBox? I attach a screenshot to show the section of VB to look in...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Did you check the md5sum on your downloaded image? Did you check the media for errors?
    I deleted everything and re-downloaded the iso. Then installed it, installed the guest additions - still nothing.

Have you had a look at the 3d settings in VirtualBox? I attach a screenshot to show the section of VB to look in...
    Enabling 3d made no difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast