Thread: And now the "real" reason Valve created a Linux client

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

And now the "real" reason Valve created a Linux client

Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: And now the "real" reason Valve created a Linux client

I was reading about it earlier. You know what that means right? There is going to be some SERIOUS porting of games, out of neccesity, but good for all of us using linux ;D Might even be some linux exclusives (just maybe) won't that be a slap to MSFT face
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

steam already has an xbmc-ish interface for your htpc that is game controller friendly

makes me wanna upgrade my htpc

Beans

why would valve release a console that ships with an os incompatable with most games on steam? people are going to buy it thinking they can play everything on steam.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Hope it pans out. This would mean a whole slew more games for linux users. Now if they would just invest more games for Mac
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Hope it pans out. This would mean a whole slew more games for linux users. Now if they would just invest more games for Mac
    hopefully they don't pull a netflix. making games available for stuff that runs linux like android and roku but not working on desktop linux distros.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I figured they would come out with a console, but this is a little different direction than I thought. I didn't think about them marketing it as a PC. It makes sense, though.

I'm sure if they start putting out Linux-based PC/consoles, there will be a mass move to port games to Linux. Who would want to miss out on something that huge? This is going to have a lot bigger market share than plain Linux desktop PCs.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    hopefully they don't pull a netflix. making games available for stuff that runs linux like android and roku but not working on desktop linux distros.
    True that..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm actually really happy to see Valve putting their money on Linux. I think their approach with going with the "SteamBox" is actually pretty unique. Instead of just releasing yet another console, with yet another new SDK, and convincing game devs to switch over and support yet another platform, they can just build on the Linux platform to ensure stability and a wide range of compatibility.

To me, that's a very viable approach to understanding the marketshare of desktop linux distributions. There isn't just one distro that everybody's using; there's lots of them. Over time, they'll be able to support more and more distributions, and they'll probably package up their client for quite a few different Linux systems.

Not to mention, Steam's a pretty great game distribution platform, and we'd probably see a surge in not only A-level titles, but Linux-native indie games as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    I don't think that will happen, considering they already have their stuff available on traditional Linux distros. Steam is a platform for PC (not just Windows) gaming, and it will stay that way. A Steam console will just be a PC specifically designed for Steam, with a great out of the box experience, without taking away the possibility of building your own PC (with Linux or Windows) to get a more customized, but similar, experience. Valve won't alienate their faithful audience (PC gamers, that enjoy building their own gaming PCs), they just want to expand to compete with the consoles as well
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD