Thread: Violation of using the name of this site?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation Violation of using the name of this site?

In
    Code:
    http://www.ubun2.com/
    they called themselves "ubuntu forums" while as actually this is a site for asking questions. This, as I think, has violated both the real Ubuntu Forums and Ask Ubuntu.

The Ask Ubuntu community already filed complaints to Stack Exchange about this. However I think that the moderators of this forum should also try to get this site change so that they don't boost their website by calling themselves "Ubuntu Forums".
    As the Ubuntu Studio release manager and a Kubuntu developer, I do a lot of ISO testing and packaging.
    Make Ubuntu 13.10 awesome~!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Violation of using the name of this site?

The UbuntuForums name is copyrighted?

Anywho, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure their intent is not malevolent, and even if they are looking at taking over this site, then they sure as heck are not doing a good job at it.

Beans

Beans

Welcome to the Internet. I've had a few posts of mine from ubuntuforums get copied onto various blog posts with no attribution or a link to the original post. While it can be interesting to see how things get around it isn't usually a good thing for visitors who end up at a copycat's version with outdated information. If I feel like procrastinating I'll often make a comment on the blog, if the blog owner allows it, but usually I feel like I have better things to do.

It reminds me of FFmpeg and how a few guys from China sell it as an integral part of their "video conversion" software. Nothing wrong with that if it didn't violate the GPL. Sometimes they even spam this forum with links or suggestions for it which is sold under dozens or hundreds of varying names...basically the same junk though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It could be a violation of Canonical's trademark of Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy