Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is the 'Unity Revamped' ppa working atm?

Beans

Re: Is the 'Unity Revamped' ppa working atm?

well done, this patched make unity dodge worked..

c,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Quick C&P to build packaged unity-5.18 with the revamp changes, assumes current unity source in 12.04 as of TODAY (unity_5.18.0-0ubuntu1
    Open terminal, leave open till done, will do all from that one terminal to maintain correct prompt locations

Code:
    mkdir -p unity_build && cd unity_build && \
    sudo apt-get build-dep unity
    (above ^ is one single command

When all installed then,
    Code:
    apt-get source unity && cd unity-5.18.0
    Leave the terminal for a moment, dl, (r. click > save link as), & extract attached patch, place in the unity_build folder as in screen 1

Then
    Code:
    patch -Np1 -i ../revamp-18.patch
    Should apply cleanly, will quote ex. at the end of this post

To prevent being upgraded we'll just append a .1 to current version, not exactly package building etiquette but doesn't matter for self builds (that's a <dot>1, not just 1, see screen 2
    Code:
    gedit ~/unity_build/unity-5.18.0/debian/changelog
    Save & close gedit
    then
    Code:
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc
    When the build finishes create a folder named in inside unity_build folder, see screen 3
    Drag & drop the 4 needed .debs into the 'in' folder, ala screen 4
    finish with
    Code:
    cd ../in && sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    Then just log out/in
    (if dodge isn't working after login then simply open ccsm > unity settings, switch to never then back to dodge

If for any reason this version doesn't suit you you can revert to old ppa version by cd'ing to your unity_down folder & downgrading like before

How the patch com. should look, note prompt location in blue

This work-around by "mc4man" works like a charm!

Thanks a million for your work!

Darior

Beans

And to reiterate mc4man's comment about 64-bit users who first download and install only the four Unity-revamped .deb files from https://launchpad.net/~ikarosdev/+ar...+build/3858766 and then get the following ominous result:

> sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    dpkg: warning: downgrading libunity-core-5.0-5 from 5.18.0-0ubuntu1 to 5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2.
    (Reading database ... 396451 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace libunity-core-5.0-5 5.18.0-0ubuntu1 (using libunity-core-5.0-5_5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libunity-core-5.0-5 ...
    dpkg: warning: downgrading libunity-core-5.0-dev from 5.18.0-0ubuntu1 to 5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2.
    Preparing to replace libunity-core-5.0-dev 5.18.0-0ubuntu1 (using libunity-core-5.0-dev_5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libunity-core-5.0-dev ...
    dpkg: warning: downgrading unity-services from 5.18.0-0ubuntu1 to 5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2.
    Preparing to replace unity-services 5.18.0-0ubuntu1 (using unity-services_5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement unity-services ...
    Selecting previously unselected package unity.
    Preparing to replace unity 5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2 (using unity_5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement unity ...
    Setting up unity-services (5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2) ...
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of unity:
    unity depends on unity-common (= 5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2); however:
    Version of unity-common on system is 5.18.0-0ubuntu1.
    dpkg: error processing unity (--install):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Setting up libunity-core-5.0-5 (5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2) ...
    Setting up libunity-core-5.0-dev (5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2) ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    unity

at least one if not both of the *all.deb packages from the i386 packages at https://launchpad.net/~ikarosdev/+ar...+build/3858767 also seem to be required in order to avoid the error above.

Update: as for disabling my global menu autohide, I've found that it doesn't seem to matter whether one installs 5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2 or recompiles Unity 5.18.0 with the patches from mc4man (and by the way, my patching resulted in more than four .deb files and I seemed to need also to "sudo dpkg -i libunity-core-5.0-dev_5.18.0-0ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb"). Anyway, in both cases, unfortunately, I haven't found the good disable button appear in Compiz.

Cheers,

Open a terminal & run this, then leave the terminal open -
    Code:
    mkdir unity_down && cd unity_down
    Then go here in Firefox or whatever, -
    https://launchpad.net/~ikarosdev/+ar...+build/3858767

In the "Built files" section at bottom of page download these 4 .debs into the 'unity_down' folder you just created.
    (- right click on each .deb in turn > "save link as", browse to & select the "unity_down" folder
    (unity_down is in your home folder

libunity-core-5.0-5_5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2_i386.deb
    unity_5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2_i386.deb
    unity-common_5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2_all.deb
    unity-services_5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2_i386.deb

When all are dl'ed & in the unity_down folder (screen 1), then return to terminal & run this
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    Should downgrade all 4 without error, after that log out/in to use.
    If dpkg shows any error, (shouldn't), don't fret. read back & see what the issue isor post complete terminal output. Just don't log out till the downgrade is good

ex. here on 64 bit of good downgrade
    Last edited by ontolimbo; January 6th, 2013 at 09:33 PM.

Beans

For 12.04 x64 going for downgrade to unity 5.16 all your unity _down folder has to contain is :

libunity-core-5.0-5_5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2_amd64
    unity_5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2_amd64
    unity-common_5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2_all
    unity-services_5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2_amd64

Works like a charm.

thank you mc4man.

After installing these i got a incomplete update, corupt dependencies warning.
    It was resolved by downloading and installing via dpkh of these packages:

libunity-core-5.0-dev_5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2_amd64
    netbook-launcher_5.16.0-0ubuntu1+ikarosdev2_all

Hope it hels.
    Last edited by SSOMaster; January 13th, 2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: bad dependencies

Beans

Thanks to mc4man for the patch!
    It is working good for me, except one little thing: the patch does not make global/app menu always visible (like it was in unity-revamped 5.16)
    Does anyone knows how to integrate it? Because I think it is the most needed feature in the unity. I'm suspect to defend it because i use a tablet... but anyway, in my opinion it should be implemented.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hey, guys! I'm sorry if I went MIA, but life has a nasty habit of keeping me busy.

Unfortunately, my thread was taken from me (from the T&T section), so I don't have any way of publicly communicating my status.

I did, however, push an update up to the PPA, and packages (Unity 5.18.0 | Ubuntu 12.04) are currently awaiting building. If they build correctly, the update should be available via my PPA shortly.

Concerning Unity 6.0 and Quantal, I was able to (sort-of) get the "Dodge Windows" functionality working, but it is plagued with frequent crashes and breaks other functionality of Unity. (Not sure why either)

I, unfortunately, do not have time to figure out the issues as I'm very busy with school and work. I hope that someone will pick up the project. Long live dodge windows!
    Laptop: [AMD Vision A4-3300M | 8GB RAM | ATI Radeon 6480G | Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit]

Studio Box: [AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ | 4GB RAM | Nvidia 210 | M-Audio FastTrackPro | KXStudio 11.04 64-bit | 2.6.31-rt14-custom | KDE 4.6.5]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It works well again (Ubuntu 12.04), thanks for your work Isaac.

Beans

Thanks Issac, thank you very much!
    Hoping the next build will have back the feature to permanently show the menus *.*

Beans

There is a new Unity Revamped PPA: ppa:garhuy/unity
    Features at https://launchpad.net/~garhuy/+archive/unity

Beans

Quick C&P to build packaged unity-5.18 with the revamp changes, assumes current unity source in 12.04 as of TODAY (unity_5.18.0-0ubuntu1
    Open terminal, leave open till done, will do all from that one terminal to maintain correct prompt locations

Code:
    mkdir -p unity_build && cd unity_build && \
    sudo apt-get build-dep unity
    (above ^ is one single command

When all installed then,
    Code:
    apt-get source unity && cd unity-5.18.0
    Leave the terminal for a moment, dl, (r. click > save link as), & extract attached patch, place in the unity_build folder as in screen 1

Then
    Code:
    patch -Np1 -i ../revamp-18.patch
    Should apply cleanly, will quote ex. at the end of this post

To prevent being upgraded we'll just append a .1 to current version, not exactly package building etiquette but doesn't matter for self builds (that's a <dot>1, not just 1, see screen 2
    Code:
    gedit ~/unity_build/unity-5.18.0/debian/changelog
    Save & close gedit
    then
    Code:
    dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -D -us -uc
    When the build finishes create a folder named in inside unity_build folder, see screen 3
    Drag & drop the 4 needed .debs into the 'in' folder, ala screen 4
    finish with
    Code:
    cd ../in && sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    Then just log out/in
    (if dodge isn't working after login then simply open ccsm > unity settings, switch to never then back to dodge

If for any reason this version doesn't suit you you can revert to old ppa version by cd'ing to your unity_down folder & downgrading like before

How the patch com. should look, note prompt location in blue

Working...
    Thank you...
    (Note: my unity version 5.20 still run)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123