Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zRAM on Ubuntu 13.04 x86/x86_64.

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

zRAM on Ubuntu 13.04 x86/x86_64.

zRAM will be default on 13.04 x86/x86_64 installation?
    I read that it's good for netbook and machines with low amounts of system memory and what is pros and cons of zRAM?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTI0NjQ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: zRAM on Ubuntu 13.04 x86/x86_64.

Quote Originally Posted by serdotlinecho View Post
    zRAM will be default on 13.04 x86/x86_64 installation?
    I read that it's good for netbook and machines with low amounts of system memory and what is pros and cons of zRAM?

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTI0NjQ
    Been there with AMD64, 3G (now 4) and ran out of there with cuts and bruises... Nothing life threatening but would not get into these bushes again... I even have swap turned off... But who knows, if a need emerges...

Beans
    Distro

I have a Thinkpad T530 and 12GB RAM... the only reason I even have a swap partition is because the Ubiquity installer seems to have a bug that won't allow you to proceed past disk partitioning without a swap partition.

Hard disks are cheap, but SSDs aren't, so if/when I replaced the 500GB HDD with an equivalent size SSD, I don't want to lose any space to swap. I'd rather use a swap *file* that I could easily delete/move/resize, in the extremely unlikely event that my system would run out of RAM.... or use zRAM.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pressureman View Post
    I have a Thinkpad T530 and 12GB RAM... the only reason I even have a swap partition is because the Ubiquity installer seems to have a bug that won't allow you to proceed past disk partitioning without a swap partition.

Hard disks are cheap, but SSDs aren't, so if/when I replaced the 500GB HDD with an equivalent size SSD, I don't want to lose any space to swap. I'd rather use a swap *file* that I could easily delete/move/resize, in the extremely unlikely event that my system would run out of RAM.... or use zRAM.
    I seem to be able to "bull" past the install swap question and install without a swap. My SSD isn't that big and I have several ubuntu partitions on it, latest raring update, previous raring that was working, 12.04.1 LTS, and a linuxmint for when I get tired of wrestling unity and want to get something done.

On this netbook with 1G memory and dual processors, I just did free which said it had 95756 used swap likely from doing an apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade. I've thought about adding more memory but on my Acer Aspire 1 that involves removing the mother board.....what do I expect for $250.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    I seem to be able to "bull" past the install swap question and install without a swap. My SSD isn't that big and I have several ubuntu partitions on it, latest raring update, previous raring that was working, 12.04.1 LTS, and a linuxmint for when I get tired of wrestling unity and want to get something done.

On this netbook with 1G memory and dual processors, I just did free which said it had 95756 used swap likely from doing an apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade. I've thought about adding more memory but on my Acer Aspire 1 that involves removing the mother board.....what do I expect for $250.
    You probably aren't bulling past the fat that you aren't installing a swap partition for each installation. If you already have a swap partition setup for your stable installation, all the other installations, whether they are on the same hard drive, or others, will automagically use your already configured swap partition.

In other words, you don't need a separate swap partition for every install you have on your system. I'm currently using 1 2GiB swap partition for 4 installs on this system I'm using.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    I seem to be able to "bull" past the install swap question and install without a swap.
    I just tried installing on my old T500 with a fresh daily image from today. The partitioner still warns me that I haven't configured a swap partition, and asks me if I want to go back to the partitioning menu. If I click "No", it takes me back anyway. If I click "Continue", it proceeds with the install (which didn't happen a few weeks ago when I installed on my T530).

So... still buggy, but at least not as bad as before. Next time I reinstall the T50 (probably in April, with the official release), it'll be with no swap partition
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pressureman View Post
    I just tried installing on my old T500 with a fresh daily image from today. The partitioner still warns me that I haven't configured a swap partition, and asks me if I want to go back to the partitioning menu. If I click "No", it takes me back anyway. If I click "Continue", it proceeds with the install (which didn't happen a few weeks ago when I installed on my T530).

So... still buggy, but at least not as bad as before. Next time I reinstall the T50 (probably in April, with the official release), it'll be with no swap partition
    What's the matter with just installing w/swap and deleting it afterwards?

Beans
    Distro

This sounds to me that the memory requirements of Ubuntu are going to creep upwards.

The zRAM capability is mostly a win for netbooks/mobile devices and other cases with very restricted amounts of RAM.
    How big or small is "very restricted?"

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast