Thread: Advanced? Cant' find 32bits OpenGL libraries & Direct3D9 is not available w/o OpenGL.

Beans

Exclamation Advanced? Cant' find 32bits OpenGL libraries & Direct3D9 is not available w/o OpenGL.

Hi all,

First, I've researched this half to death and have already tried the common solutions... no joy on any of them. I really don't want to have to put WinXP on another drive but I'm nearing the end of my rope.

Symptoms:

POL starts with saying it's unable to find 32 bit OpenGL libs despite the fact that they are definitely installed. I start Guild Wars 2 and get the downloading screen but from the internet activity it's clear that the dat file is fully downloaded.

For more info, I restarted GW2 via command line and after it initializes I get this error repeated, scrolling down the terminal window: "Direct3D9 is not available without OpenGL."

General Info:

Ubuntu 12.04
    ia32-libs is installed.
    CPU: AMD FX6100 (6 core bulldozer)... CPU activity is low (under 35%) on all 6 CPU's.
    RAM: 16G, not even using 20% of it per resources analyser.

Graphics Info:
    Nvidia GT640
    Driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.19.run (Downloaded today, 12/9/12)
    32 bit libs during install? YES

me@mycoputer:~$ glxinfo | grep -i render
    direct rendering: Yes
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 640/PCIe/SSE2
    GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color, GL_NV_copy_image,
    GL_NV_parameter_buffer_object2, GL_NV_path_rendering,
    GL_NVX_conditional_render, GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info,
    GL_OES_depth_texture, GL_OES_element_index_uint, GL_OES_fbo_render_mipmap,

POL Info:
    POL Version 4.1.8
    Wine Version for this virtual drive: 1.5.18
    ** I suspect this is a 32 bit wine version as POL does not allow me to select any 64 bit versions when installing GW2.

GW2 Info:
    Argument when called: -dxsingle
    Registry keys already created:
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/wine/Direct3D" ... "UseGLSL" ... "disabled"
    and
    ""HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/wine/Direct3D" ... "Multisampling" ... "enabled"

Any constructive ideas are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    NCD
    Last edited by NoCyberDom; December 10th, 2012 at 01:34 AM.

Beans

Exclamation UPDATE: Cant' find 32bits OpenGL libraries & Direct3D9 is not available w/o Ope

Color coding is intended to make this easier to follow... During my attempts I noticed this:

p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Googling that took me to this suggestion about getting the libs and making links:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/12784...ring-pkcs11-so

Along the way I learned that:
    ia32-libs is already the newest version.

But I had not yet made the links... and this is where it got weird... pasted terminal output is color coded to make it easier to notice what I see.

me@mymachine:~$ sudo mkdir -p /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/
    It appears to have made the dir, as expected.

me@mymachine:~$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so
    ln: failed to create symbolic link `/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so': File exists

Huh?? How can it exist if I just made the dir?

So I ran GW2 in the same terminal window... here is the OP:

me@mymachine:~$ /usr/share/playonlinux/playonlinux --run "Guild Wars 2" %F
    [main] Message: PlayOnLinux (4.1.8) is starting
    [clean_tmp] Message: Cleaning temp directory
    Script started /home/ncd/.PlayOnLinux/shortcuts/Guild Wars 2
    [POL_System_CheckFS] Message: Checking filesystem for Gw2.exe
    [POL_Wine] Message: Running wine-1.5.12-GuildWars2 Gw2.exe -dx9single %F (Working directory : /home/ncd/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/GuildWars2/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/ArenaNet/Guild Wars 2)
    [POL_Wine] Message: Notice: PlayOnLinux deliberately disables winemenubuilder. See http://www.playonlinux.com/fr/page-2...nubuilder.html

p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    Direct3D9 is not available without OpenGL.

Beans

Re: UPDATE: Cant' find 32bits OpenGL libraries & Direct3D9 is not available w/o Ope

Sigh... tracing things hand over hand like a string revealed that the link is there, but it's broken.

/usr/lib32/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so

cant' be linked to because the dir

/usr/lib32/i386-linux-gnu/

doesn't exist.

Yes, I had the nvidia installer install the 32bit libs... four times.

Taking a break to ease the headache... any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Beans

Re: UPDATE: Cant' find 32bits OpenGL libraries & Direct3D9 is not available w/o Ope

Quote Originally Posted by NoCyberDom View Post

/usr/lib32/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so

cant' be linked to because the dir

/usr/lib32/i386-linux-gnu/

doesn't exist.
    After a break I installed the keyring, which I apparently did not have... but it didn't create that dir either.

Instead it installed gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so to:
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pkcs11/

So I deleted the old link, created a new one to redirect to the actual location of the .so and upon starting GW2 I once again that same old scrolling line:

Direct3D9 is not available without OpenGL

Direct3D9 is not available without OpenGL

I have officially lost my sense of humour with this issue.

Beans

This remains unsolved but I found a workaround... I installed 12.04 32 bit in another partition and ran the program off that.