Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XUbuntu Installation Problem

Beans

XUbuntu Installation Problem

Hi all.
    I'm relatively new to the Ubuntu forums here, so please excuse my inexperience in this area.

I've been trying to install XUbuntu onto an older Pentium 4 era machine in order to create a home server.
    While presented with the XUbuntu installation menu, I am told I cannot install XUbuntu as I do not have the required disk space for the installation. I know this to be untrue as I've just formatted both IDE drives I am using beforehand.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some help/advice?
    Thanks in advance,

wobbledog

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: XUbuntu Installation Problem

First thing that comes to mind is do you have four primary partitions? If so, 4 is the limit.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Give us a detailed list of what you are doing and what stage you get this error message.

What do you mean by "While presented with the XUbuntu installation menu"; what menu is this?

Are you using a live CD (or USB) to install?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    First thing that comes to mind is do you have four primary partitions? If so, 4 is the limit.
    In response to this, all I've done is formatted my two IDE drives using my Windows machine, I've formatted to the NTFS file system and I don't believe any partitions exist on the disk at the moment.

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Give us a detailed list of what you are doing and what stage you get this error message.

What do you mean by "While presented with the XUbuntu installation menu"; what menu is this?

Are you using a live CD (or USB) to install?
    Will do.

Firstly, I created a XUbuntu boot disc buy burning the .iso file onto a CD. Then using an older machine, I booted the CD onto it. While presented with XUbuntu's OS installation interface, I was unable to continue with the installation as I apparently do not have the required space for the OS (4.7GB). This is weird as I know, having formatted both drives beforehand and them both being free.

Hope this helps.

Beans

You can't directly install Linux on an NTFS formatted disk (it doesn't count as 'free space' just because you don't have data on it)

You will need to reformat first from the live session I think, or choose 'Something else' when you get to the partition stage of the install and manually delete the NTFS partition(s) from there

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    You can't directly install Linux on an NTFS formatted disk (it doesn't count as 'free space' just because you don't have data on it)

You will need to reformat first from the live session I think, or choose 'Something else' when you get to the partition stage of the install and manually delete the NTFS partition(s) from there
    So are you saying I should format to a different file system (i.e. FAT32)? Also I don't recall there being a partition stage of the installation process, in order to format and manage partitions of these drives I use an adapter to plug the drives into my Windows machine and use the disk management program there.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

wobbledog; Hi !

If I am not to far off-base here.... NTFS is the windows file system; You want the EXT4 file system on your disk to install 'buntu.
    Quickest way I know is from GParted in the live environment -> choose "new device" ->format and choose "msdos"// this is not MicroSoft Disk Operating System !// This will format the selected device in ext4, setting it up to boot bios mode using MBR (you are not booting UEFI are you ???)

As an aside: If windows was partitioned GUID -dynamic partitioning- I do not know that GParted can cope with (re)partitioning the drives.

exit out of GParted
    click on the desktop "install" icon and let the install wizard do it's thing, 'less you have need of customized partitions.
    just try'n to help <== BDQ

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    wobbledog; Hi !

If I am not to far off-base here.... NTFS is the windows file system; You want the EXT4 file system on your disk to install 'buntu.
    Quickest way I know is from GParted in the live environment -> choose "new device" ->format and choose "msdos"// this is not MicroSoft Disk Operating System !// This will format the selected device in ext4, setting it up to boot bios mode using MBR (you are not booting UEFI are you ???)

As an aside: If windows was partitioned GUID -dynamic partitioning- I do not know that GParted can cope with (re)partitioning the drives.

exit out of GParted
    click on the desktop "install" icon and let the install wizard do it's thing, 'less you have need of customized partitions.
    just try'n to help <== BDQ
    okay, this might be a bad time to mention, but I'm completely new to Linux and all its formats, so I might need a step-by-step drive on how to perform this operation and acquire the XUbuntu file system.

Thanks in advance

Beans

or if they really are 'new' disks (you don't have any Windows stuff you need to save) you could just use the Windows Disk Management tool again if you are comfortable with that, but this time delete the NTFS volume / partition so it really is raw free space (the Windows tool refers to it as 'Unallocated')

after that the Xubuntu installer should default to using the whole free space I think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast