Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Convincing my mother.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Convincing my mother.

Hitting her with Unity is not a good start as that is totally alien to an XP user.

As suggested much earlier, lxde or xfce desktop would be much better (and faster than what you have now).

But I totally agree with much of what's been said. Dual-boot and let it be; if it's her computer, end of story, etc etc. Because you love the OS doesn't mean she is ever going to.

Best option? Try to get your hands on an old computer, install Ubuntu (or a faster flavour like Xubuntu or Lubuntu) and wipe Ubuntu from her machine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

actually i found KDE (Kubuntu) with classic menu setup to be the closest to WInXP (in it's default setup).

A good argument towards the move would be that XP support expires next year. so no more security updates. which would make the system vulnerable.

on th eother hand if thew computer has enough RAM (let's say 2GB) you can install linux inside virtual box: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/virtualbox

it might not be as fast as real install but it will give you some place to work and learn while leaving the XP setup alone.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I would only advise running a VM on a machine with at least a dual core CPU and 2-4GB of RAM. Trying to virtualize on a single core is asking for trouble (don't ask how I know this..)
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    ...(don't ask how I know this..)
    Probably from experience

Done it before but it ain't pretty.

Beans
    Hidden!

install cinnamon desktop
    looks very nice sort of xp win7 type look. I plan If my father in law upgrades his Hardy old desktop with new system to do that. He would be totally lost with unity or gnome3.

Keep it simple. people mostly just want to get on the web browser.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/94201...nnamon-desktop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just keep the dual boot, you could even make the grub menu "silent" and set the XP to boot by default, so that when you restart you personally know to press ESC at the right time, choose ubuntu on grub and boot up.

This way she won't worry at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I remember back when on Ubuntu 7.10, i hid grub on a floppy. If the floppy was not inserted on power-on, it would auto load Windows. You had to have the Floppy inserted before power-on to have access to what you wanted to boot.

Just another example of hiding Grub
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans

zorin 5.2 has a winxp desktop look in its lookchanger.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I have permanently converted 3 family members to Linux. My Aunt & Uncle, their Windows Vista laptop went screwy so I lent them my spare one that had Mint on it. My intention was to reinstall Vista. After a day or so they phoned me and asked if they could have Mint on their laptop, they preferred it as it was faster and easier to use. Their choice.

The second was my Father in Law. He wanted a new PC, I showed him W7 and Lubuntu, explained the difference and he chose Lubuntu, it was the virus thing that swayed him. He had never really used a PC before, so knew no different.

It has to be the users choice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Convincing my mother.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    If it is her computer it is her choice, end of story.
    Yes, I agree 100%. It's her computer, notyour computer.

Let's put the shoe on other foot,how would you feel if someone tried to force you to use W8, even to the point of putting it on your machine and locking it down so you could not remove it?

Same difference.
    Leave her be.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast