Thread: Bootsplash and wallpaper gone after fglrx uninstall

Beans

Bootsplash and wallpaper gone after fglrx uninstall

Hello!
    As the title says, i installed and uninstalled fglrx a couple of days ago.
    I have a AMD M780G with ATI Radeon HD 3200 chipset, but after the fglrx install, it went to 1024x768 resolution and when clicking the AMD Catalyst centre in settings manager it came warning message telling me drivers was either incompatible or invalid.
    So i uninstalled it and by some reason the bootsplash is gone (just black screen) and desktop background gone too.
    I updated to 12.10 a couple of weeks ago and don't know if it's still there, but it used to be a desktop section in the settings manager in 12.04 where i could change my background but it's gone...

I am pretty familiar with the console, if that will be necessary!

Thanks
    Last edited by zenolijo; December 10th, 2012 at 12:04 AM.

Beans

Re: Bootsplash and wallpaper gone after fglrx uninstall

Bump, still having this problem

Rebelli0us is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Bootsplash and wallpaper gone after fglrx uninstall

Bootsplash and desktop wallpaper are different issues. Desktop wallpapers are just JPEG images.

If you install grub-customizer it will let you select boot resolution. Linux startup screen can be buggy so you're not alone.

Beans

Smile Re: Bootsplash and wallpaper gone after fglrx uninstall

zenolijo try googling /searching for how to edit grub.cfg

I am sure, going by what you have asked, that all you have to do is open gedit with root priveleges by
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/default/grub.cfg
    But as you can not see the desktop you have yet to log in. Allthough your computer looks like it is not doing anything and you can not see anything on screen. You could try waiting for the hdd led to stop flashing at boot time(may take 1-2mins)
    1.Carefully type your Password to log in. Press enter OR if this does not work- 2.Try pressing alt+F1 to get to tty. Log in. Try alt+F7 to view desktop and open terminal to run gedit command.

Once in desktop session you can edit your etc/default/grub.cfg and remove # from the line that starts 800x600.Save and close gedit and reboot. Enjoy booting with being able to see grub/Plymouth and log in screen. To reinstall nouveau (Ubuntu default drivers)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
    After which do a
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    and then clean up by
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    and reboot
    Last edited by Geezanansa; December 11th, 2012 at 04:26 AM. Reason: change / for . extra info
    The difference between knowledge and wisdom is knowing what to do or just doing it. I know nothing and get little done.