Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu = Frustration Agreed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu = Frustration Agreed?

Hiya, Prime -

For some reason, the way the OP used an exclamation point instead of a question mark, I was reminded of the Supertramp song, "Bloody Well Right" so I thought I'd sing along for a moment.

Beans

Talking Re: Ubuntu = Frustration Agreed?

Quote Originally Posted by Primefalcon View Post
    well he's got a right to his opinion, whether people agree with him or not is a different matter... and well it's preferred and only OS I use so... obviously... I disagree
    Same goes for me.

Quote Originally Posted by XXYZGuy View Post
    I am now using a HP Pavilion a622a Home PC, with 2GB ram, a Pentium 2 core 186GHz x 186GHz processor
    Also, I for one would love to get my hands on a machine with a 186Ghz processor like OP's.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No problems here dual-booting, triple, quad, either. So no, not agreed.

Generally user error. Then the reaction when things don't work is 'the OS is trash!'

When you installed did you choose 'something else' and create partitions manually or just let Ubuntu automatically install side-by-side or whatever other option? Using the former method you can install Ubuntu to any partition you like. So 'there or nowhere' would only apply if you let Ubuntu install itself 'automagically'. Something I never do.

Anyhow, this is not a support sub-forum so if you actually want to get to the bottom of what is/has happened, then create a new thread with a descriptive title in the appropriate sub-forum and include as much info as you can muster.

(If you're looking for people to agree that Ubuntu is trash, asking on a Ubuntu forum is probably not a good option.)
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 10th, 2012 at 02:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by XXYZGuy View Post
    I am now using a HP Pavilion a622a Home PC, with 2GB ram, a Pentium 2 core 186GHz x 186GHz processor, GeForce210 video card, 1.5 Terabyte backup storage, where Ubuntu happened to load its files in a partition, there was no choice to put it anywhere else, it's there or it's nowhere. I suppose I could unplug is and see what happens?

But can I be bothered?

Yesterday it took me all day to reinstall Windows Vista Home Premium and all the neat programmes that I like to use, having already successfully installed Ubuntu on the very same drive a day or 3 before. So I know my copy of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS works, when it's on its own, and to date I know it doesn't work when it shares the HDD with anything.

So why do the people who make Ubuntu say it can be installed alongside other OP's when it obviously can't? Ubuntu is junk, right!
    Obviously you're inexperienced, so here's a hint. If your skills with Linux and partitioning aren't all that great, install Windows FIRST, and then Ubuntu second. Ubuntu's installer will recognize Windows, then partition it properly.

If you install Windows after Ubuntu, it messes things up.

So I will repeat:

Step 1: Install Windows.

Step 2: Install Ubuntu.

In that order.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post
    Obviously you're inexperienced, so here's a hint. If your skills with Linux and partitioning aren't all that great, install Windows FIRST, and then Ubuntu second. Ubuntu's installer will recognize Windows, then partition it properly.

If you install Windows after Ubuntu, it messes things up.

So I will repeat:

Step 1: Install Windows.

Step 2: Install Ubuntu.

In that order.
    well otherwise you have to reinstall the bootloader... which isn't too complicated... and thats windows fault since windows overrides the bootloader and the windows one does not recognize any OS that is not windows

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread Closed

Reason: Serves no purpose and original poster has no comment.

If original poster has an actual support question or wants to learn how to use Ubuntu, please post in the appropriate sub-forum with a descriptive title and some civility. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12