Thread: Will a SanDisk Sansa Clip (2 GB) work right out of the box?

Beans

Will a SanDisk Sansa Clip (2 GB) work right out of the box?

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and just want to know if a SanDisk Sansa Clip will work right out of the box, and would program would work for syncing. I'm new to Ubuntu and it's all a little confusing to me. Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lightbulb Re: Will a SanDisk Sansa Clip (2 GB) work right out of the box?

Quote Originally Posted by Mituna View Post
    I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and just want to know if a SanDisk Sansa Clip will work right out of the box, and would program would work for syncing. I'm new to Ubuntu and it's all a little confusing to me. Sorry if this is in the wrong place!
    I haven't had a SanDisk Sansa media player in a number of years, but back when I had it, there was no software, the player functioned like a flash drive. If this is the case, it should work fine.

If it requires a special Windows program to sync music to it now, you might be able to get it working in WINE depending on what it is, but no guarantees.

Beans

Re: Will a SanDisk Sansa Clip (2 GB) work right out of the box?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Schnable View Post
    I haven't had a SanDisk Sansa media player in a number of years, but back when I had it, there was no software, the player functioned like a flash drive.
    Yup, I've got a Sansa Fuze that I've had for a bit over 2 years that has worked with Ubuntu just like Kirk says: plug it in to a USB port and it looks like a flash drive. I don't know about real syncing software though, I wrote a script to do what I need along those lines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Schnable View Post
    I haven't had a SanDisk Sansa media player in a number of years, but back when I had it, there was no software, the player functioned like a flash drive. If this is the case, it should work fine.

If it requires a special Windows program to sync music to it now, you might be able to get it working in WINE depending on what it is, but no guarantees.
    I don't know about the 2gb version, but I recently helped put music on my Uncle's Sansa Clip 4gb and it worked quite easily. As other posters have mentioned, it works just like a thumb drive and you just copy and paste music directly onto it, no syncing software needed.

Beans

Works as previous posters have stated.
    Just check in settings that usb-mode is set to msc.